No announcement yet.

I want to move out but don't have my legal documents

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to move out but don't have my legal documents

    I just turned eighteen and want to move out of my physically and emotionally abusive mom's house without her permission. I have talked to her about it before and she refuses to let me leave. A couple of days ago, I got an invitation from one of my friends with an invitation to stay with her and her family. The only stipulations with this arrangement are that I work and buy the things that I need. In order to get a job, I need my social security card and my birth certificate. My mom has never let me get my ID and I haven't been able to find those, and she's not willing to hand them over. I live in Texas. Is there any possible way for me to get these documents since she won't hand them over? I only have a student ID and my social security number memorized.

  • #2
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

    We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Each state has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificates and other records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all other U.S states can be found here ( Perhaps you can get in touch with your local county clerk’s office and they might be able to tell you a more solid answer on what documents are necessary to obtain your birth certificate. Other things that you can try is to contact the vital recorder office in your city and state to try to order a duplicate birth certificate.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp