No announcement yet.

CYS care

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CYS care

    Hello. I am 17 years old and will be 18 in less than 2 weeks. If I am in CYS (Children and Youth Services) custody, can they put out a warrant for my arrest and place me somewhere else? Any help regarding this topic will be greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    Re: CYS care

    Hello and thank you for posting on our forum. You ask an extremely valid question regarding whether or not a warrant can be put out for your arrest at 17, turning 18 in less than two weeks. Please keep in mind we are not legal experts and we do care about your safety. Our general understanding is that running away is a status (rather than criminal) offense. While some police are able to place reported runaways in juvenile detention temporarily, often they do not have grounds to charge or permanently detain them. Also, you shared you are in CYS custody and we recognize that aging out of foster care can vary from state to state. For more information on that process, you will likely need to speak to your case worker. One resource that might be beneficial to you and can hopefully direct you to the answers you are looking for is the Juvenile Law Center. You can find out more information on their website, You are also welcome to reach out to us directly either by calling or through our Live Chat. Best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp