No announcement yet.

17 wanna move from michigan to virginia.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 wanna move from michigan to virginia.

    I live with my dad. He gambles about every weekend and when he gets mad he freaks out and screams at everyone. Im 17 and want to move with my mom who is in virginia but he refuses cause her husband was an abusive drunk but has been in treatment and sober for a couple months now. What do i do? I hate being here.

  • #2
    Re: 17 wanna move from michigan to virginia.

    Hello there!
    We’re glad you contacted us here at National Runaway Safeline—this sounds like a really difficult and frustrating situation, and we want to help you out in any way we can. Gambling doesn’t get the same amount of exposure in terms of addiction, but it is bad and can have very stressful effects. It can be just as addictive as drugs.

    To the legal issues: Whether you can live with your mother is dependent on who was granted custody of you. We’re not legal experts here, but quite frequently you need your legal guardian’s permission to stay with the non-custodial parent. You will have to talk to your father and work it out with him.

    Another option is for your mother to go to court and fight for you. She could argue that your dad’s gambling addiction makes him an unfit parent. If your situation is shared or split custody, it’s different. You could possibly move to Virginia with your mother.

    Something to be aware of are runaway laws and potential charges. It depends on your state and county, but frequently if you runaway you might incur a runaway status offense. This is an offense that will not stay on your permanent record. You will be brought back to your guardian and the juvenile court system might get involved. Also, who you end up staying with—if they are an adult—may be charged with harboring a runaway and that is a serious misdemeanor. There also may trafficking charges if you cross state lines.

    We wish you the best with the situation with your father. You can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can explore more options with you and support you in any way we can.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp