No announcement yet.

Legal help in Alabama

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Legal help in Alabama

    Hi, I'm a 16 year old girl who will be 17 in 4 months. I live in Alabama. I live with my grandma, aunt and uncle, because my mom isn't fit and my dad has never been in the picture. My family is always on my case about how I'm disrespectful, but Its only because I forget to do the dishes every now and again and my job usually holds me back laters so they think I'm not coming straight home, even tho I always have my life 360 on. I get to go out maybe 1 night a week. I get straight As in school (well when it was open) and I have a bright future ahead of me. They always talk behind my back (but thin walls) about how I'm never going to make it and I'm lazy ECT. My uncle is also very perverted and always peeping on me and I've caught him touching himself inappropriately to me on camera and watching me in the bathroom which I have told my aunt and grandma about, but nothing has happened and they claim "all men do that" this has been happening for about 3 years since I've lived here. I have severe migraines everyday and recently gotten worse. I had to go the the er one night and they medicine helped and a few nights after it was worse and my aunt refused to take me since 11 until 2am. My boyfriend said he would take me because he knows how bad they get. My family threatened to beat us if he pulled up. I want to live with a nearby friend, but my grandma said she will call the cops and I don't want her to get in any legal trouble, but I can't live here anymore. They're all angry potheads. Will the police only find me if I get into trouble with them and they ring up my name? Will they be able to get me at my job? I need help.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. Your uncle's behavior is not okay at all.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp