No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help

    I need to get out of my house. I’m a trans girl, and both of my parents are terribly transphobic. I’m 18, live in Minnesota, and I’m planning on moving in with my girlfriend that lives in Oregon. I am on 2 prescription medications, which I feel like I would need, otherwise I could get very sick. How can I get a prescription I would be able to use in Oregon?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. We appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation and the transphobia you have to endure with your parents. You deserve to experience acceptance and to feel supported. It is understandable to want to leave home as soon as possible. There can be a lot of factors to consider when it comes to leaving home, so it is very responsible of you to be thinking through these details.

    We are not medical or legal experts, but we might be able point you in the right direction. Ensuring you have continued access to your prescription could look differently depending on the medication and the prescribing doctor. It could be helpful to call your doctor's office to ask about this and what steps you need to take to have access to your medications in a different state. This might include needing to find a provider where you will be living in Oregon to oversee your medical care. Your current care provider/doctor would have more specific information on what is required from you.

    If you are in need of insurance, you might be eligible for medicaid as a homeless youth or young person living away from your legal guardian. This would also be something to ask your doctor about to see if your prescription would be covered under a medicaid insurance plan or if they would have to find an appropriate alternative for you.

    We hope this information helps. If you would like to talk more about your situation or you need any help along the way, you are always welcome to reach out again. We are available for immediate support by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat services at

    Stay safe and good luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp