Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 15 and want to go across states without parental consent.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 15 and want to go across states without parental consent.

I'm a 15 year old girl from Colorado and I'm dating my boyfriend who lives in Iowa, I want to visit him for a couple of months from about February to may or june. But i've pleaded with them and begged my parents to give me permission to go because its okay with his parents but my parents won't budge. They dont have any valid reasoning, they've just told me "We're your parents and we say no" or that "you're 15 and not mature enough" if I fly there and live with him without their consent, would I, my boyfriend, or his parents be breaking any laws or be able to be brought back to my parents. Thank you!

Re: I'm 15 and want to go across states without parental consent.

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mother. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home by the police. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Originally posted by ccsmod14 View Post
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mother. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home by the police. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS
      Well thats the main problem, is im 15 and im not like the normal runaway cases, i dont want to leave and never come back, im being emotionally abused by my brother, however thats not a big part of it, i just really need to see my boyfriend for an extended period of time, but they wont let me, i want to return home after june. but my parents are too strict.

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks for writing back.

It sounds like you really want to spend some time without your boyfriend and care a great deal about him. Perhaps your parents would be more lenient if an adult accompanied you or they met your boyfriend’s parents before you went. We’re also available to mediate a phone conversation with your parents if that’s something you might be interested in.

Generally speaking, leaving your parents’ home without their permission for a period of time is often considered a runaway case. You mentioned wanting to cross state lines without their permission, so that would typically be considered a runaway issue.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Take care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

We've already met once, we met half way in Nebraska, my dad met his parents but my mom has never met them, and my mom refuses to listen to him whenever they talk and refuses to look at our arguement.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
          x
          x
          Working...
          X