school questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• school questions

in a couple months, i plan to leave home from maryland to new york. i'm currently 15 and plan to continue my education. how would i be able to go to school without my parents or documents? would they let my parents know that i am currently at the school or anything like that ?

Re: school questions

Thank you for reaching out. It’s great that you have worked out a plan, that you’ve defined the questions you have, and that you’re working to figure out answers to them.

So, the McKinney-Vento act guarantees that homeless youth have a right to an education. You can learn more about that law at www.serve.org/nche. Your first step would be to get into contact with the local homeless education liaison, the list for that is here: www.serve.org/nche/states/state_resources.php. They will look into your case, and figure out what the best arrangement might be.

It’s not illegal to run away. We are not legal experts, but, in general, police departments’ job is to return a youth to their guardians. If there is some issue that affects the youth’s safety, like physical or verbal abuse, the police will investigate that as well, though. Guardians are required to report their kids missing. Not doing so could be considered grounds for child neglect.

How the specific school you approach handles this varies by school, but it’s likely that they will have questions and that they may try to contact guardians. But that doesn’t mean that they will be able to do that successfully.

This may not apply to your situation, but some youth work out an alternative living arrangement. This is where the guardians are aware of where the youth is staying, and approve of it. That might allow you to live and go to school in another place.

It sounds like you have some serious concerns that are prompting you to leave home. You can always call. We may have other resources that will give you better options. We also have chat available as well.

Best of luck, and thanks again for reaching out.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X