No announcement yet.

Kansas 17 Year Old

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kansas 17 Year Old

    I’m moving out of my parents home this fall but was wondering what the repercussions might be if I leave 2 weeks before my 18th birthday without their consent?

    I also need advice on how to handle a situation where my parents won’t give me my legal documents (birth certificate, social security, etc.) Do I involve the police?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally about your concerns. If you leave home without permission while you are still a minor, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means your parents can ask police to return you home if they know where you are staying. There is not a universal way that police respond to runaway reports and it can vary state, police departments, and even individual officers. Because you are so close to 18, there is a possibility that police would not enforce a runaway report in your case. Unfortunately, there can always be some risk with leaving as a minor. Once you are 18, you will be considered a legal adult with the legal freedom to choose where you live.

    It is very frustrating that your parents will not give you your legal documents. You do have a right to these, but it can be difficult to enforce this right. The police might escort you to your parents home if you are concerned about your safety and help you ask your parents to turn over your vital documents. However, police are not always available to do this, and your parents are not necessarily obligated to provide them. The National Network For Youth has a state-by-state field guide with instructions for you can obtain a copy of your birth certificate and state ID. Once you obtain one or both of these, you should be able to get a copy of your social security card. .

    We hope this information helps! If you need to talk more about your situation or have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. We are available for immediate support by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat at

    Good luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp