16 year old wanting to leave home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 year old wanting to leave home

I'm 16 and wanting to move in with my boyfriend. My parents don't accept him but I'm in love. I'm ready to move. Please help.

Re: 16 year old wanting to leave home

Hey there! Thank you for reaching out to us! It must be frustrating to be at odds with your parents about something as personal as your relationship. We are here to help you navigate this situation in any way we can.

We aren’t legal experts but because you are thinking about running away at 16, we want explain how that might look for you. Your parents would have the right to file a runaway report and the police could look for you. They usually consider running away a status offense rather than a crime, but they will most likely bring you home. Depending on the situation and whether your parents decide to press charges, any legal adult who lets you stay with them after you go could be at risk for legal punishment over the “unlawful harboring of a minor.” We could talk more about this and your plan on our 24/7 hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY, or on our online chat at www.1800runaway.org. Both are confidential. If you choose to leave home, you can get in touch with us to find shelters and other resources. We will try our best to help keep you safe and support you the best we can.

Thanks again for getting in touch! It takes strength to face tough situations and reach out for help. The NRS is here to support you in any way we can, so don’t hesitate to call or chat with us!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X