Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can’t go to school here

I’m 17, turning 18 by the end of September. I’m living with my grandmother and I have been since COVID-19 started. My fathers an alcoholic and starts a fight everyday with someone in the household. He and my mother have joint custody over me. My mother is willing to sign over guardianship to my grandmother but my father is unwilling to let me go and is making me come home. I cannot attend school in my grandmothers county until she gets custody. I really do not want to go home and is considering dropping out this year which is my senior year. My mother will not take me in because she has three step kids to take care of. I really do not know what to do about this situation at all.

Hello –

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out. We are sorry to hear about the situation you find yourself in. We are sorry you are not receiving the support you deserve from your parents.

Depending on what you are looking for, a great resource for you could be the National Child Abuse Hotline. You can reach them at 1-800-422-4453. You can call them anonymously to learn about the abuse reporting process, or directly report abuse to this line. They are a good resource for talking through your options if there is verbal/physical abuse going on with your dad. Additionally, it may be helpful to speak with legal services in your area. For more information on that, you can chat us online or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), we are 24/7.

Also, it is important to know your rights. For example, as a result of the McKinney-Vento Act (https://nche.ed.gov/mckinney-vento/), you have a right of access to education, even if you are homeless or a runaway.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember, we are available 24/7 and can be toll-free reached at the number listed above. We are confidential, anonymous, and non-direct.

Best Wishes

~NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X