Runaway Foster Child

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runaway Foster Child

About a year ago I ran away from Foster Care for a lot of reasons. I am now 16, turning 17 in a few months. I know in Georgia that once you’re 17 the police can not force you to return home due to you not being a child or an adult. I’m wondering if that’s different when you run from foster care/CPS. Would I be forced to go back to care when I turn 17?

Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that foster care got so bad for you that you needed to leave. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that the same rules that would apply to your parents would apply to CPS custody as they would both be considered your guardian. However, it is also our understanding that the police would return any minor up to the age of 18 to their guardian, parent or foster care.

If you would like to talk a little bit more about your situation and what options you might have or if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X