No announcement yet.

Documents and information for shelter

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Documents and information for shelter


    I have several questions about info&ssn:

    1. What documents/info do i need in order to get in a runaway shelter? (Specifically in NYC, but can include near places if you know).

    2. What happened if I don't/can't give those?
    (Ex. I don't have SSN/ID, my mom kicked me out and i cant get my papers, was born in another country and abounded/ranaway in US, wasewas born home and never registered, etc).

    3. Can i be emancipated in a different country then my "gourdian"?.
    (I know Mississippi dont have a specific age for that, and CA its 14).
    - cosider that i have a place to live&job in this country.
    can a place to live b if i stay were i work? (

    4. If you were adopted and got a new ssn, can you use your old one back when you are older?
    Or how do you get a new one (i know its possible after identity theft/domestic abuse cases).
    Who can know about it?
    If you get emancipation and change your name, do you need to change the name on the ppars?

    I am very sorry about my spelling & grammar mitackes. I have dyslexic.

    Thank you!

  • #2
    Hey there thanks for reaching out to NRS,
    It seems like you have a complex situation and have a lot of questions. It seems like your adoptive mom kicked you out of the house and you are in need of options moving forward. That is generally a form of neglect and they shouldn’t be doing that, as such it is reportable as child abuse if you are under 18. You deserve to have a safe place to call home. If you want more information about child abuse laws and your options is a good place to start. We will answer your questions as best we can one by one as you asked them.
    1. Most documents will ask for some information like name, or birthday but most probably don’t require documents to prove your identity as they recognize that isn’t always a possibility. This may be different from one shelter to another however so there might be some setbacks and exceptions. Some shelters also require parent/guardian consent or have to let them know within a certain amount of time.
    2. If you don’t have easy access to those documents getting a replacement may be your next step. If you have a state ID already you might be able to go to the agency you got it from (DMV etc) and ask for a replacement.
    3. Generally emancipation is in the state or county you have residence in for a certain amount of time. If you get emancipated there other states will usually recognize that emancipation from your home state. But if you tried to move to a new state before becoming emancipated you would need to reside there a certain amount of time before attempting to become emancipated.
    4. That we are unsure of, for information regarding your Social Security Information you could try going to your local Social Security Administration building if they are open during COVID, or look on to see what your options are.
    Hopefully these answers give you a good starting point. If you have more questions or need help finding a shelter please call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 where we can talk with you on the phone which may be easier with your Dyslexia.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp