No announcement yet.

Missouri 16 year old wants to legally leave home?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Missouri 16 year old wants to legally leave home?

    My friends family is ********ty and she wants to emancipate herself but you really can’t even do that without consent. Her situation isn’t abusive enough to be placed in foster care and she doesn’t want to be anyway. How can she runaway while attending school and working a job without being forced to return home?

  • #2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
    It sounds like your friend is going through a difficult time, and it is great they have a friend like you for support.
    We are not legal experts but because your friend is a minor if they were to leave home without permission their legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find your friend, they most likely would bring them back home. It seems like emancipation may be the only legal way of her leaving without the possibility of being brought back home.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you and your friend in their situation. If you or your friend have any more questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp