No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Runaway

    I am 17 and I have lived in Florida with my mom since I was 2. I have got in trouble a few times but never with the law. My mom is rude , has very bad language, is abusive an allows me to do nothing but go to work and go to school, I will be graduating a year early this month, and turning 18 in October. I want to go to Colorado where my dad and step mom live sometime in July. My question is will me or my dad get in any trouble if that is what I chose to do?

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thanks for reaching out to us. We are always here for you and we are here to help in any way we are able to. You are not alone in this.

    It sounds like living with your mom has put a lot of stress on you, it makes sense that you don’t want to live with her anymore. We’re glad that you have your dad in your life. If your dad doesn’t have custody of you and you ran away to him, there’s a chance he could get in trouble. There’s a charge called Harboring a Runaway, it’s not something that we hear about often but it is a possible consequence. We do offer resources such as legal aid. They’re lawyers who help youth and they may be able to figure out the custody between your mom and dad. You should have a say in who you live with and you deserve to live in a happy home.

    Again, thank you for reaching out. If you want to talk more about what you’re going through at home, we are always here. Call us or chat with us via our website

    Thanks, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp