No announcement yet.

BF wants to run away from home, but he's under probation for about another 2 years.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BF wants to run away from home, but he's under probation for about another 2 years.

    My boyfriend wants to run away from his home. We're both 15. We live in Houston, Texas. 2 years ago, he did something illegal, and got probation for 4 years. His parents have always treated him worse than his siblings. He's the oldest of 4. His parents have always been verbally abusing him, and recently, it's been getting worse. He tells me about how he can’t take living there anymore. He's talked for a while now about running away from home and staying with me. I know that there must be a lot of legal issues there. I want to know if there is a way that it would be legal for him to live with me and my family even though he's on probation. I don't know the specifics on what he did, or his probation. He doesn't do anything illegal, and it was a onetime thing. I think he did it as a cry for help or attention. He told me that he always used to get bullied, even in kindergarten. I want to do anything I can to help him. Today he told me that he was seriously considering running away either tomorrow or in a few days. Just yesterday, his parents threatened to kick him out, and he told me that when he was 11, that they did kick him out. His relatives don't like him very much, and so we agreed that if he were to ever run away that he would come to me. His parents are more traditional Mexican parents. My bf considers himself as emo and likes to wear eyeliner and paint his nails black, and that sort of stuff. His parent's don't want him doing that type of stuff and call him things like an embarrassment or a disgrace. He wants to be himself but his parents are strongly against that. They hit him with a belt and often scream, yell, and threaten to call the police to take him back to juvenile hall. He's at the point where he sees running away as one of his only options left. I'm worried about the legal issues that would occur if we does run away and stay with me. I don't want any legal trouble. Is there any way for him to legally stay with me, even if his parents don't approve? Is there anything I can do to help him?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 04-22-2020, 05:17 AM.

  • #2


    You mentioned some things that raise concern for your friend’s safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, he has the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services). Again we are not legal experts. If he is removed from the home CPS will render a decision as to the best place for a minor to stay.

    If you feel like this is an option you want to explore and get more information, you may find this website helpful: We can also help to file a report if that’s the route he is considering.
    It’s great that your friend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them.
    running away could bring more problems since he is on probation. There's not much more we can say about that not knowing the terms of his probation.

    If you would like to speak more about the situation, please contact NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp