• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    replied
    re: moving out/"running away" at 17 - Oklahoma

Hey there,

Thanks for contacting us. You have thought a lot about your options for leaving home, you seem to really be planning ahead. That's great! Unfortunately we are not legal experts here at NRS so we don't know if there are any specific laws that state whether or not you can leave home at 17. You may want to contact a local legal aid office for more information. You could also try asking the non emergency police to see if there are any laws like that where you live. You don't deserve to be in an unsafe environment. If there is anything we can help with further, please let us know.

Thanks,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Moving out/"Running Away" at 17 - Oklahoma

Moving out/"Running Away" at 17 - Oklahoma

Ive lived in an emotionally abusive household for my whole life and I have started to make plans to move out around December of next year, or earlier if possible. I will have completed high school by that point and I will be 17 1/2 also. The documents Ive read on runaway status for Oklahoma have been very unclear and I'm just wondering if there are any laws stating that I cannot legally move out at 17, or if I can be forcibly taken back to my parents. Im a queer, nonreligious child that basically goes against everything my family believes, and if they find out about it, I will no longer be in a physically safe environment. Emancipation is an option, I know, but that process takes quite a long time and I would still be stuck in this household until it would go through. Any advice or information that anyone could lend me would be wonderful. Thank you.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X