Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternatives to Emancipation: What are my options?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to Emancipation: What are my options?

My mom is bipolar. I am 17. I live in Illinois. She is trying to force me to stay with her. I have been living with my grandma for three years and my mom was okay with it. But now, all of a sudden she has a problem with it. Do I have to go with my mom? What are my options?

Re: Alternatives to Emancipation: What are my options?

Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible to a bulletin posting it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.
    Thank you, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Im 14 i need somthing besides emancipation i dont want my mom to lose full custidy i love her it is just her boyfriend and his dad i have already told my mom of this

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes a great deal of courage to seek help. It sounds like you want to move out but you don't want you mom to lose custody of you. We are not legal experts, so we cannot say for sure what option alternatives you have. You could try asking your mom if she would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. Please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat so that we could discuss other options that you may have.

We hope this response was helpful!  We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum.  Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

I am turn 17 in a few days. I live in Canada Manitoba. My dad has extremely bad mental health problems and my mom does but doesn't think anything's wrong. I dont think I can live with them much longer. How they treat me. Yelling at me, punishing me or not letting me leave the house over hunches (there very paranoid of things) I have very bad anxiety (and depression). I do smoke weed. My parents think I do but they say they smell it on me when I haven't smoked for a week( being paranoid) and the reason I smoke is because of them. I'm only stressed at home. I cant even sleep at night from it. I don't want to be emancipated I may be as responsible as an adult but I still want to be a teenager I cant handle that and school. Is there any alternatives.

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
        We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

I am 15 and I have been in foster care and I live with my mom now but I can’t deal with her anymore. She yells at me for everything and tell me to kill myself all the time and I have a place that will take me if I leave but I can’t leave because I’m not at the right age to do anything. Please help

Comment

Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your mom. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or
        www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm 16, I live with my mother and I live in Michigan. I've been living with my mom for about a year, and I can't stand it here, I need to leave but I don't want to emancipate myself I can't afford a lawyer. My boyfriend and his family are willing to take me in, but my mom would never give me consent. And my dad lives in tennessee. What should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod13
            ccsmod13 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation with us. It sounds like there is a lot you are facing at home with your mom and you are thinking leaving could be your best option. You mentioned wanting to know how a minor can leave home. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. 18 is the age of majority in most states which is also the age you are able to make your own decisions like where you live. If you leave home without permission your mom could report you as a runaway. This is not illegal, so you would not get into any legal trouble. But if your mom knows where you are staying she can ask police to bring you back home. Michigan is different in that most police do not consider a 17 year old a runaway. So if you decided to wait until you turn 17 to leave, you would be able to choose where you live without a risk of police intervening.

You mentioned that your mom will not give consent for you to leave. Unfortunately, this would be the easiest and fastest way to leave home as a minor. Perhaps there is another family member or trusted adult who can help you talk to your mom about your needs. The second option would be emancipation, but as you stated it can be a lengthy and difficult process. If you call or chat with us at 1800runaway.org we are happy to provide a general understanding of the process and refer you to legal aid for free legal advice about this option. The third way to leave home would be to go through child protective services if your safety is a concern.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat at 1800runaway.org. We are here to listen, explore all of your possible options with you, and help as much as possible.

Be safe and take care,
            NRS

I am looking for alternatives to emancipation. The emancipation guidelines are 16, but I am 15. I experience mental and emotional abuse from my parents, as wells as medical neglect. Are there any alternatives to emancipation that would not rip my family apart completely?
          Last edited by ccsmod15; 02-18-2021, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. You are so brave to reach out and share your story. You mentioned that emancipation is not a current option for you. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat.  

You stated that some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any abuse or neglect is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).
            If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

We hope to hear from you soon.
            Be safe and stay strong,
            NRS
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X