No announcement yet.

Disown and wanting to move out

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disown and wanting to move out

    A friend of mine recently got disowned. I plan on moving to another state soon with another friend and we were wondering if we could take her with us. The only problem that we are finding is that she is 16. Since she was verbally disowned by her parents, does she still need consent to move out?

  • #2
    Reply: Disown and wanting to move out

    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

    In general a minor must have a parent’s or guardian’s permission to live outside the home.
    Even though parents may have verbally disowned her they are still responsible for her wellbeing.
    They have the right to file a runaway report.

    Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows a runaway to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

    NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    You might consider contacting NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) to discuss your situation and maybe explore some options.
    We can search our data base for possible alternatives for emergency housing for youth at risk.

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove