Helping a runaway in California

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping a runaway in California

One of my friends has an unstable home life and has been doing self harm and thinking about running away, or commiting suicide for a long time. Recently his life took a turn for the worse, and he's getting ready to run away for a couple of days to a safe spot he has. He says he has transportation, and I don't think he would be in any danger, but I want to know if I could get in trouble in my state for giving him supplies, and possibly food to help him run away.

Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, on behalf of your friend. Reaching out for your friend shows that you care and that you are a supportive friend.
    It seems like your friend is going through a rough time, and please let them know that they are not alone. Feeling suicidal is pretty serious your friend’s life is important and they are worth living. If the are ever feeling suicidal or just need someone to talk to they can call National Suicide Prevention Hotline at: 1800-273-8255. There is always someone willing to listen and willing to provide support.
    We are not legal experts but we do have some information. If your friend were to stay with you , you could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Usually that would be a fine or a misdemeanor. We are not sure if you would get in legal trouble for giving your friend supplies.
    We hope that that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options, please give us a call or chat with us. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X