No announcement yet.

17,have a car and 2 jobs, want to move out in CT

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17,have a car and 2 jobs, want to move out in CT

    Im 17, currently a senior in high school living in CT. I have a car registered under my name, I have two jobs, and I want to move out.
    I've been having problems with my mother for quite a while now. I can't even have a normal conversation with her without her screaming at me at some point.
    I have seen my appetite go down in recent months, and I have always had trouble sleeping, but its been pretty bad recently.
    I have been self medicating because I don't feel comfortable going to her about anything,
    and any time i try to communicate with her she twists the story, ends up yelling at me for literally no reason,
    and seems to blame me for the fact that I have so much trouble eating and sleeping.
    I don't feel wanted or loved by my own mother and its slowly breaking me down mentally. I want to improve our relationship, and I want her to help me,
    but then she said she doesn't want to help me and then denied saying it. I'm called names because of the fact that I can barely eat or sleep. She says she loves
    me, and i have asked her plenty of times to act like she does, but all I get in return is her yelling at me to stop talking.
    It's taken a huge mental toll on me over time, and she doesn't recognize that. I don't know how much longer I can take it.

  • #2
    RE: 17,have a car and 2 jobs, want to move out in CT

    Hello There,

    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline today. We’re really glad you came to us. It sounds like your home situation is very frustrating. We’re sorry your mother is making you feel so overwhelmed. Considering all that you’ve been going through, we want to tell you we think you’re courageous for asking for help today.

    Unfortunately we are not legal experts. Typically the legal age of majority is generally 18 in the US. That means if you left home without your mother’s permission she would have the right to call the police and report you as a runaway. Running away is not a crime, but the police would then have the authority to bring you back home. Sometimes whoever you stay with could be charged with “harboring a runaway”, which is a misdemeanor offense. We advise that you call your local police non-emergency number to clarify their policies on these issues.

    It sounds like communication could have something to do with this situation. If you think it might help, we could offer to have a conference call with you and mom on the line with someone here. We’d be able to help you define how it is you’d like to be treated at home and see what mom would say. We’d be able to help make sure your voice is heard. Obviously this service isn’t for every situation, but if you’d like to give it a try please call us here at 1-800-RUNWAY (786-2929) and we’d be happy to get that started for you.

    In times of great stress, it is helpful to reach out to a close friend for support. We’re here for you too if you’d like someone to talk to who is a neutral party to the issues at hand and if you’re just looking to vent about this situation. Our call center is 24/7 and we’re confidential.

    Best of luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove