No announcement yet.

I don't want to be here anymore

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I don't want to be here anymore

    Hi, my name is Victoria and i am 17 years old. I have wanted to move out and away from my legal guardians before.
    I've just been too scared. And there's a problem with my social security card so i can't get a job or get emancipated. My family and i have not had our own place in over a year. Living in hotels and camp sites and recently
    a family friends place. But i can't do it here any longer. I've been dealing with depression and anxiety and the longer I am with my guardians the worse it is getting. Am I allowed to legally leave the house without their permission in the state of Florida? I need help. I can't do another year of this.

  • #2
    I don't want to be here anymore

    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

    It sounds like you have been in an unstable living situation for some time now.
    It’s understandable that this situation has become quite frustrating for you.
    18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms.

    If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation.

    Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

    If you would like to speak more about your situation and maybe discuss options contact NRS at: 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove