Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not "Running away" But stand by me

*im a scout, my bags are packed RN for a long trip* what would happen if I just packed my bags left a note. Brought phone chargers. And just left following the rail road like in stand by me? im 15 and just want to find myself out in the world.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you are looking for new experiences and this is making you think about leaving home. If you do choose to leave home your parents or guardians can report you as a runaway to the police and have you listed on a national list as a missing child. The police would likely return you home.

It sounds like you have taken a couple steps to prepare for running away, but leaving without a solid plan and safe place to stay can be very dangerous. We are non-directive here at NRS which means we do not give advice or tell young people what to do, but we do care about your safety. Movies and television can often make leaving home and "going out into the world" seem glamorous or appealing. While leaving home for some youth can be the safest option if home is not safe, taking this step to leave can put you at risk of homelessness and mental health issues as well as make it difficult to access medical care or basic necessities like food. If you are not feeling safe at home, we encourage you take any steps necessary to regain your safety. This can include reaching out to people and resources to build a support system that can help keep you safe.

If you are thinking about leaving to seek out adventure, it could be helpful to brainstorm ways you can try new things and explore different opportunities without leaving home. Perhaps reaching out to a family member, coach, religious leader, or other adult you trust will help you think of ideas to gain that sense of adventure and discovering yourself in a safe way.

If you want to talk more about your situation or your next steps, you can reach out again any time by phone or live chat services. 1-800-786-2929; www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X