No announcement yet.

16 living in North Carolina and want to become Emancipated

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 living in North Carolina and want to become Emancipated

    I'm 16 and have been going through abuse at home both physically and emotionally for as long as I can remember. I ran away a few days ago and was forced by police to return home. When I went be home my dad physically hurt me leaving bruises and scratches on Me and a cut on my back. I haven't been to school for two days because of it. I have younger siblings but they have never been abused....its only been me. I wanted to know in North Carolina can I become a emancipated minor because of abuse? And if I do say I'm being abused and want to be emancipated what happened to my siblings? Also what steps will I have to take to become emancipated? And his long is the process?

  • #2
    Re: 16 living in North Carolina and want to become Emancipated


    Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It definitely sounds like you have a very difficult situation in your home. Please know that you do not deserve to be treated that way…no one does! It seems that you understand that what you are experiencing is considered child abuse and is prohibited by law. Just so you know, you also have the right to report any type of abuse that you experience. You can do this directly by contacting Child Protective Services in North Carolina at 1-800-422-4453. You can also tell a trusted adults, maybe a teacher or school counselor. Even if your marks are not visible, you can still reach out and tell someone at school if you felt comfortable doing so. Another option that you have is to call us here at NRS at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we can either help you with reporting or discuss other options, such as shelters or Safe Places. Just becuase you call into our hotline, you don't have to report anything and can just talk to someone here about what has been going on.

    You asked about emancipation in North Carolina. Laws in your state do provide for any youth age 16 or older to file for emancipation. There are a variety of factors that will be considered, and it does generally take some time to complete. From what we know it's 3 months to 6 months. Here are three resources which might be helpful in this process, "Children’s Law Center" (704-331-9474), "Child Advocacy Commission" (919-682-1129), and "North State Legal Services" (919-732-8137).

    You are very brave to contact us, and we are definitely here to help! If you’re able, you may want to give us a call to talk a little more about your situation. We are here 24 hours a day/7 days a week and would love to hear from you. We also offer a live chat feature through our website Please feel free to contact us anytime you are able. Take care of yourself!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove