15 year old in indiana emancipation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 year old in indiana emancipation

I am a 15 year old female and I live in Indiana. I want to get emancipated because I do not like the way my parents treat me. My mother and step father ridicule me, and my mother does not allow me to see my boyfriend. In August I told my mother I was pregnant, and she flipped out. She made me quit public school and now I'm homeschooled and I am not allowed to contact my boyfriend. My father threatens to "spank" me and he constantly degrades me and make me feel like crap. His house is disgusting. Both my mother and step mother smoke, and they do not want to quit. I do have a plan on saving up more money and continuing to get my schooling. I understand that i will not be able to rely on my parents. If i tell my mther I want to get emancipated, do I have to stay with her? Can I go ahead and leave? Can she make me quit my job? What if she refuses to take me to court?

Reply: 15 year old in indiana emancipation

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We are sorry to hear about your situation.
    In most states to be considered for emancipation takes cooperation from the parents or guardians. You must show the courts that you are in a position to be independent of your parents. This may mean showing proof of employment and safe alternative housing etc.

To learn more about emancipation you might consider contacting legal aid services in your area.
    You are welcome to contact 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (live chat). For information and referrals options.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm a single male parent and my daughter keeps sneaking out at night (after curfew) when I catch her she says she has no freedom and want to be emancipated she has no job and I don't think any were to live What do I do?

Comment

• ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing about your situation. Its sounds like it is getting difficult to know how to respond to your daughter and her behavior. She has requested that she wants to be emancipated, but as it sounds like you know that emancipation in most states, we aren't legal experts, but require that you have proof of stable income, independence, and stable living situation. As it sounds that she isn't at this stage in stability but is needing more freedom beyond her curfew. It can be difficult to have a conversation with your daughter about addressing her behavior but may be important to listen to her needs with freedom and see if there can be a compromise. If she does end up running away for some reason you can have her call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Safety is most important for us and if you ever find your are in a situation where she does runaway you can reach out to NCMEC for support or Team Hope at 1-800-843-5678.

If you want to discuss further your situation please feel to reach out us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY or access our chat through our website.

-NRS
        Last edited by ccsmod3; 07-14-2018, 11:05 PM.

I’m a 15 year old female and I absolutely cannot stand living with my parents anymore. I’m constantly emotionally and verbally abused. My dad calls me a slut, tramp, whore etc., all because I wear size one jeans. My mother drinks every night. My dad recently blew up about me seeing my boyfriend without them knowing. He took my phone, freedom, schoolwork, and school iPad. He considered sending me away to a boarding school or pulling me out. This has happened several times and it’s driven me to the point of suicidal thoughts and self harm. My grandmother lives down the road but my parents won’t let me live with her. What do I do?

Comment

• ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for reaching out to us. We know how hard that can be, but we’re glad you came to us, since we are here to help! Sounds like you’re in a very tough situation, and can only imagine how hard this is for you.
        You mentioned suicide and self-harm, so if you are feeling like that right now or at any time please don’t hesitate to call 911 for immediate support. Your safety is most important to us. Another option is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 that can provide some great support.
        In terms of how your parents are treating you, that just sounds really hard, and no one deserves to feel like you do. Another option might be to talk more with your parents about how it’s making you feel, and just how badly it’s affected you emotionally. If there is a guidance counselor at school, that could be a great option also. Another family member that is an adult could provide some support also, and maybe someone that knows your parents and can convey your thoughts. If there is a church group or friends, or friend’s parents, that can provide support too.
        Sometimes things as simples as movies and sports can help take your mind off of things too. Lastly, we do have conference calling too, and if you called our crisis center at 1-800-786-2929, we could take to you and your mom and/or dad and try to mediate. That’s just another option for you.
        Hope these are some helpful options for you. Remember we’re here 24/7. We’re here to listen, here to help. Best of luck.
        -NRS

hi, I'm a 15-year-old female and my mother is threatening to kick me out and make me live with my father away from my twin sister and little brother but my father doesn't have custody and he is verbally abusive. I want to know if I can get emancipated and take my brother sister and brother, and is she allowed to kick me out and force me two live with a certain parent.

Comment

• ccsmod6
        ccsmod6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello, thanks so much for reaching out to us here at NRS. It sounds like you are in a stressful situation with your mom about moving you to stay with your father. We aren’t legal experts, but we can give some general info and talk further if you feel comfortable doing so. Generally if your mom has custody, she is your legal guardian and legally responsible for you and if your dad has no custody, he has no legal rights over you. This can get tricky as we are unfamiliar with the exact laws of custody so it can vary about if the parent that does not have custody can house a youth with the permission of the parent that has custody. This would be something to maybe look into with a legal expert, which we would be happy to connect you with if you can contact us again. Furthermore, emancipation laws also vary with each state, but generally it would be a legal process of becoming legally independent from guardians/parents before being the age of adulthood. It does entail some money and time as it is a process in front of a judge that includes lawyers, but usually most states require the youth to show they are able to live independently (including finances), are mature enough to live independently, and that living independently is the best interest of the youth. Again, this can vary by state but if you reach back out and share the state you are located in we can look into what your state’s laws are.
        We are always here for you and it must be a difficult situation and we are always here to listen and brainstorm ideas. You can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us on our website at 1800runaway.org. Stay safe and we hope to hear from you again soon.

Best, NRS

hi I am a 15 year old female. I was looking into emancipation a little while ago and I don't know how to bring it up to my dad. Things have gotten worse since my mom passed away in April of this year. I can't live with anyone else. My dad has been basically blackmailing me with my boyfriend. That if im late to class one more time he`ll contact his parents and make us break up. Child Protectant Services has been contacted multiple times and now they have a file on me that im a cumpulsive liar. He wont let me get a job. And he doesn`t know this but if he takes my boyfriend away from me I will Commit suicide( ive already self harmed). I dont even have a phone to contact suicide number. What do I do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,

We are glad you were able to get access to write us. Our deep condolences to you for the loss of your mother. That's such a hard thing to go through.

It sounds like you are having a tough time at home. It’s very brave of you to reach out to talk through some options for you. First here are some websites you might find helpful if you can find access to a computer: for the Suicide Prevention you can chat with them via their website https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ and their number is 1-800-273-8255. You can also chat with us via our website at https://www.1800runaway.org/ or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are confidential and here to listen and help you decide what you'd like to do. Also here is some information on getting legal help in Indiana: https://www.in.gov/judiciary/selfservice/2353.htm. You can first reach out to them to make sure where you are you can legally emancipate yourself from your parent(s).

We are sorry to hear that you have done some self-harm. Please know that this is not your fault. But we do hope that you can stay safe. A great website dealing with self harm is https://twloha.com/.

We hope that you are able to reach out to us either through phone or chat. Please stay safe. We are here for you!

NRS

hi i’m a 15 year old female and I want to get emancipated. I live with my mother and my 2 sisters and my mom is almost never home unless she is working. I have been dealing with depression and suicidal thought since I was 7 and every time I mentioned it to my mother she told me I was being over dramatic. She makes me feel worthless and like my life is expendable and she hits me as well when she feels threatened or wrong about the things I say. There was even one time she pulled me out of school because she busted my lip. I told her about me wanting to get emancipated and she flipped out on me. What should I do I want to run away so badly but i feel my life will be in danger because she will find me if I do so i’m at a loss to the point where I often think about taking my own life so I don’t have to deal with the pain and the fear anymore please help.

Comment

• ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation. Home is supposed to be somewhere you can feel safe and cared for. It is not okay for your mom to hit you or to make you feel threatened. You deserve to be treated with respect and to feel loved and supported. It was very brave of you to speak up about the issues at home and it was a great first step to getting any support you may need.

It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 (www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org) is always available if you need someone to talk to about how you have been feeling. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of.

If you were to leave without permission, it is likely that your mom can have you brought back home. Your safety and well-being are very important. The easiest way to leave would be with your mom's permission. If you decide to leave, it would be a helpful to reach out to friends and family members you might be able to stay with. Sometimes having an adult on your side to advocate for you can make communicating your needs more effective to your parents. Perhaps an adult family member, a friend's parent or a counselor at school can talk to your parents with you about your experience at home and the possibility of you leaving.

You do deserve to be helped with this tough situation at home. You have the right to make a report to child protective services to have someone intervene and make sure you can stay safe. This can be a scary decision to make and you do not have to go about it alone. You can talk with an advocate at the National Child Abuse hotline about what the reporting process might be like for you, childhelp.org.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe and good luck,
        NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X