•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hello,
    Thank you for reaching out to us during this difficult time. It can be difficult to live with toxic parents even without a quarantine in progress, so it must be extra challenging for you now. Although we are not legal experts, technically as long as you are still a minor (under 18 in the state of New Jersey,) you can still be returned home by the police if you are reported as a runaway. However, once you are 18 you are legally considered an adult and your parents cannot force you to come back home. If you have additional questions, please contact us by phone or by chat at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic I'm 16, almost 17 and I wish I could move out

I'm 16, almost 17 and I wish I could move out

I'm 16 years old, I'm turning 17 on July 1st. I live in New Jersey. My parents are very toxic and I can't stand living with them. And with this whole quarantine thing, they're both home 24/7 and it's so hard to deal with. One of my friends said that if I move out at 17, the police can't force me to go back home. Is that true?? I want to save up more so I can get my own place, and I don't know when this quarantine will be over so I most likely won't be moving out right when I turn 17. But I was just wondering if what my friend said was true. If not, are they legally allowed to force me back to my home once I turn 18?? Because to my understanding, even when I'm 18, I'm still not fully emancipated from them. Sorry if this is confusing. If I need to explain more I can.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X