No announcement yet.

Girlfriend is almost 18 and she wants to leave without consent

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Girlfriend is almost 18 and she wants to leave without consent

    My girlfriend is roughly 2 months away from turning 18 and has been wanting to leave her parents since she was around 12. She has no control over her life at home, cant leave the house, is abused verbally and is rarely physically abused. Shes always stressed out or upset when shes at home to the point where she would cut sometimes. She wants to leave as soon as possible but is worried about the legal repercussions (Only reason shes waiting til shes 1. I was wondering if she can leave and not come back considering she's almost 18.

  • #2
    Re: Girlfriend is almost 18 and she wants to leave without consent

    Thank you for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that your girlfriend’s home situation has been so tough. No one has the right to be abusive towards your girlfriend, and it sounds like she’s really struggling to find ways to handle the stress. We are glad to hear that you have been a positive source of support for her. You and your girlfriend are asking really great questions and, although we’re not legal experts, we will do our best to share the info we have to help both of you decide how to approach your situation.

    You asked about the legal repercussions that might be associated with leaving home without consent. As far as we understand it, running away is not illegal, although in many states it is considered a status offense. Generally speaking, if someone is considered a minor, his or her parents have the right to file a runaway report with their local police department. From there, it is up to the local police department to decide whether they would look for the missing youth. If your girlfriend’s city is one where they would look for a missing youth, if they found her, they would either return her to her legal guardians or have the legal guardians pick her up. There is a possibility that whomever houses her can be charged with harboring a runaway or aiding and abetting a minor, but that also depends on where you live. Sometimes the police press charges, sometimes it has to be the legal guardian. The easiest way to find out what might happen in your girlfriend’s case would be to reach out to her local police department at their non-emergency number. It is not necessary to share personal identifying information to have your questions answered. If you do not know how to reach her local police department or even if neither of you feel comfortable making that call, you are always welcome to reach out to us by phone. We can help you find the best phone number to reach them, or even conference call with you if you feel that would help.

    In your message, you also mention that your girlfriend has previously cut as a reaction to the way things get at home. We want you to know that there are resources like To Write Love on Her Arms at They have resources to help stay informed about self-injury, as well as how she can get help if she feels she needs additional support. Regardless of what either of you decide to do, know that we will be here to support both of you. Please feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to listen and support whatever you choose to do. Stay safe!
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 11-17-2016, 08:41 PM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp