No announcement yet.

I'm 17 years of age and I live in Midland Michigan, I would love to move out.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 17 years of age and I live in Midland Michigan, I would love to move out.

    My mother was diagnosed with a liver disease. She has become very lazy since she has gotten this and now gets money from the state for disability, yet whenever i try to tell her about how i feel, she never seems to understand. She screams at me and says that I dont know how hard she works. Yet she never leaves the couch. I want to leave as soon as possible. Hoever i have a disabled brother as well that I dont want to leave in her care because im afraid she would end up making him the errand boy after I left. Please give me some suggestions.

  • #2
    re: I'm 17 years of age and I live in Midland Michigan, I would love to move out.

    Hey there,

    Thanks for sharing your story. It seems that you and your mom don't get along very well and you are feeling that she doesn't understand you. What we are hearing is that because of your relationship, you are worried about leaving home and leaving your brother behind. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. You may want to consider other options for coping with your situation at home if you are unable to leave as you wish. If you need help discussion options or ideas for how to deal with this stress, we are avaiable 24/7 to help.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp