No announcement yet.

I'm 16 and I want to leave my home.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 16 and I want to leave my home.

    Hi, I'm a 16 year old girl, I live with my parents and brother. I'm a lesbain, Democrat, and and athiest. But my family is very homophobic, they're die-hard Republicans, and very very religious. Almost a year ago they were going through the text messages on my phone and found a message I sent to a friend of mine several months earlier. It was my coming out message to them. Well my parents confronted me, took my phone, grounded me, yelled at me for six hours straight, took me out of public school and forced me into a Christian homeschool program, and have been refusing to let me go do things and see my friends. That all happened last December (2015). Over the past year I've been verbally abused, whether it be getting made fun of or getting called name. They don't listen to me at all either, almost every time I try to speak I'm told to shut up. They've made me delete all social media and have resulted to using to track everything I do on my phone. I have to hide a lot of things from them now because I know they won't accept it. My father has threatened to beat me and I'm honestly scared. This has been going on for almost a year, just because I'm gay. I don't feel safe, I don't feel welcome. I'm tired of putting up with all their bull********, I want to leave home. What should I do? Call CPS or something?

  • #2
    Re: I'm 16 and I want to leave my home.

    Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear you are going through such a hard time. You don’t deserve to be treated like that. It is not ok for anyone to threaten to hurt you or verbally abuse you.
    You shouldn’t have to live in constant fear. Talking and sharing this with close friends and family members can helpful in many situations. You can also reach out to GLBT National Hotline at 1-888-843-4564. It sounds like you have been thinking about calling Child Protective Service. You have the right to file an abuse report if that might be an option for you. But you should keep in mind that it can be hard to prove verbal and emotional abuse. You can call Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 and they can help provide you information on filing an abuse report and the steps involved in filing an abuse report. You can also reach to us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we can help you file an abuse report.
    In this hard time you are doing great by reaching out for help. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out to us. You can always reach out to us directly at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or live chat with us from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp