Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m 17 and need to move out of my emotionally abusive home.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m 17 and need to move out of my emotionally abusive home.

I live in Lisbon, Maine and my whole life my mom and dad have been emotionally abusing me. They make me feel awful about my life and constantly try to control me; They won’t let me leave my house. I brought up being emancipated but it only made them treat me worse since. If I run away and they file a missing person report will the police look for me ? I have no other choice except to continue to be abused. I’m 260 days from turning 18 and have had a countdown running since the number was higher than 1,000. Please help

Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and we are so glad that you did!
    It seems like you are going through a super difficult time right now. You do not deserve to be abused in any type of way and we are sorry you are dealing with that. You do have the right to file an abuse report. You can file an abuse report by calling Child Help at: 1800-422-4453.
    We are not legal experts but we do have some information on what could possibly happen if you left home before turning 18. If your legal guardian decided to do a runaway report it is a possibility the police could bring you back home. Because you are so close to being 18 they may not take a runaway report but it depends on the police department.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X