Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running away

Hi. I'm turning sixteen in a few months and my home life has been exceptionally Rough this past few years and I just need to stop. I can't handle it anymore for it is taking a terrible toll on my mental health and soon physical. I have been fighting with my dad and he has been threatening to hit me every time we talk but he is a cop so I can't really do anything he might be able to get away with it. I need to leave. I have a place to go in the city (I'm an hour or two outside of it) and I would be going by train. I have no idea how long I am staying but I have a few questions

1. What would happen with school. My planning on leaving a note saying I'm leaving so they don't think I killed myself, how would I jump back in if and when I return

2. Since my dad is a cop, when I come back I think they would put a gps ankle monitor on me. Is that legal

3. What sould I remember to cover my tracks

4. How do I travel by myself safely

5. If I don't return till 18 how do I get my education

6. How long and far would the police look for me, would they contact police far away to search if they have suspicion? And what are the odds of them finding me..

Thank you so much for the help.. I need it

Re: Running away

Thanks so much for writing us at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re here to listen and here to help. So sorry to hear that things have been so rough at home. You do not deserve to be abused, even if he is a police officer. If you fear for your safety, even if he is a cop, you should have the right to call and report the abuse with either the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453) or 911. Any report of abuse is confidential with the National Child Abuse Hotline. We can stay with you on the line to help you make those calls.

Running away from home is a status offense if you are below the age of majority. This means that it is illegal for you to run away. If the police find out that you are gone, they will return you back home, provided it is a safe place. Your father could file a runaway report, which notifies police everywhere across the US that you are gone. As a 16 year old, depending upon your city and state, you may qualify to apply for emancipation. Emancipation means that you would become responsible for yourself legally. Emancipation may be costly, and one of the things you have to do is prove to the courts that you know how to take care of yourself financially. If you are ever interested in obtaining resources for emancipation, feel free to call or chat with us. We could provide you would the legal aid resource for your city and state.
    We cannot really predict if you will get caught or returned back home. Whatever your decision is, we would help you talk through the risks, consequences, and help you brainstorm alternatives to leaving. You know your situation best. As far as school, there is a McKinney Vento Act for homeless or runaway youth that states that youth are allowed to continue school without having to show typical paperwork or get their parents’ permission.

We invite you to call or chat so that we can learn more about your situation, provide you with individualized supports, and, if you wish, safety plan with you so that even if you choose to run away, you would have your safety and well-being of the highest priority. We hope to hear from you soon. Feel free to contact us! Our information is below.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi,I thought running away before now I finically want to do it for a reason , I have a question?
      If I run away will I have an ankle monitor on me?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are not legal experts, but running away is not illegal for a minor, it is a status offense, so you would not have an ankle monitor put on you if found. If you are under 18, the consequences could be that you would be returned home if found by the police or there could be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. If you want to talk through this with a liner or have more questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929.

Best,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X