No announcement yet.

I’m 17 and a ant to move out

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I’m 17 and a ant to move out

    I just turned 17 years old, there’s been tension and struggle in my household for the past year and some change. There’s always arguing and verbally abusive comments. I’ve been wanting to move out because all the stress and anxiety due to this is causing me to spiral downward and I can’t take it. I would like to know what legal measure they would be able to take, can they call the cops and make me go home? Or can they call the cops to help force me to not leave?

  • #2
    hank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline, it takes a lot of bravery to reach out and we appriciate you reaching out to us. It sounds like things have been difficult at home for some time. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to Child Protective Services. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed.
    If things become unsafe for you please feel free to reach out to us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can listen and help find any resources that might be helpful. We can help you to find safe place and supportive people during this difficult time.
    It sounds like you are wondering if you can move out and what steps your parents might take if you do. While we are not experts on the law in most states, you can move out on your own at 18. Which is often times the age when you are considered an adult, it can vary some from state to state. If you would like to learn more about the laws in your state you can contact the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. If you are still considered a minor or underage in your state your parents can file a missing person report. What that can mean then is that if you are picked up by the police they will most likely return you back home.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif