I don’t know if I’m a delinquent child

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don’t know if I’m a delinquent child

I am 16 years old and i live with my friend because my dad kicked me out and abused me for stealing liquor out of his cabinet when I was 15. I had to stop going to school because it was an hour away at the time and I had no money for food or clothes or anything when my dad kicked me out. I want to go back to school, but I don’t know if I have a warrant for running away or truancy. I am afraid I’ll get locked up. I also want to get a job

Hey there,

We are so sorry you are struggling with this right now, and we want you to know you are not alone. We are not legal experts, but we can give you general knowledge that we have on runaway laws. You can report the abuse and neglect, since your dad kicked you out while you are a minor that is considered neglect, to Childhelp. They have a phone number you can contact 18004224453 and a website childhelp.org that has a chat feature. Because you left home before the age of 18, your dad may have reported you as a runaway. If the police come across you, they can bring you home, unless you tell them you are being abused and then they would start an investigation. They would not return you to an unsafe situation. Running away is a status offense, like smoking tobacco, and you would likely not be arrest and there would not be a warrant for you. You can call your non-emergency police number for your area and ask them the laws in your county and whether or not it would affect your enrollment in school, as you often need a guardian to sign paperwork to enroll.

Please call or chat us again if your situation changes or if you have more questions or concerns, or if you need additional support. We are here for you: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.
    Best of luck,
    NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X