I need to get out.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to get out.

I'm a 15 year old female, and I need some assistance.

My parents are very strict to the point where it's overwhelming, and when they make decisions I have no say whatsoever in the matter. Some of their rules don't even make sense (for example, my brothers and I have to get off of our phones at 6 PM every night, we aren't allowed to talk in our own /room/, we can't talk during dinner, etc.) They make decisions based purely on what /they/ want and disregard my thoughts on it, even when I phrase it in a civil and polite manner.

I would like to know how I can get away from them - my grandfather, having witnessed these things and more, has agreed that I should get out ASAP (he suggested I move in with him, but I'm not sure if that's possible due to the fact that he has lung cancer and is very sick.) Will I be able to emancipate myself from them? Is there a place I can go that would accept me?

Thank you in advance.

Re: I need to get out.

Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing your experience; that’s why we’re here, to listen and to help. The situation you described sounds really frustrating –the rules you that you feel are overly strict on you and your brothers, and your parents not being open to discussing them situation when you try to talk calmly about them. It also sounds like others have noticed what’s going on– you mentioned that you grandfather, though very ill, has offered to give you an alternate place to stay if you wanted.
    Everyone deserves to feel safe, loved and supported especially at their home. Your grandfather’s place is an option but as you said, may not be the right place if he’s very ill. Is there another relative with whom you might be able to stay as an alternative, or anyone else whom your parents would agree to letting you stay with? That may be one option to consider. Another option may be having a neutral 3rd party talk to you and your parents about how you feel – to make sure that you’re heard and help open communications. The important thing is to ensure your safety whatever you do. If you feel that your home is not the place where you can prosper and grow, there may be other alternative housing options to explore; we could help you to explore options further if you want.
    Please know that you do have lots of options available to you. Emancipation may be one option available, but it’s important to know that it can often be costly and take some time, so may not be a quick or easy solution. But if you want to learn more about emancipation criteria and procedures in your state, we can help provide you with referrals to help you learn more about that too.
    We hope this is helpful to you. Please know that if you want to explore any of these options further or discuss your situation in more detail, we are here 24 hours a day 7 days a week to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X