No announcement yet.

im 17 leaving out of state

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • im 17 leaving out of state

    So long story short my father is crazy. He's abusive in ways like busting my lip, choking me, beats me with extension cords to where I have scars and my mother let's him do it without ever stopping him. There's been many other occasions but I'm 17 & tired of this. I'm bout allowed to leave the house unless it's class or work, no extra curricular, no volunteer work out anything to keep my mind busy so I don't have to ensure my father talking down to me or hitting me. I recently found out I have a half sister who's mother offered to let me stay there for a while. If I were to leave and let's say they do call the police being that I'm 17, could I still be filled as a run away? I have attempted to run away once and was accused of running away during the summer and the police called. Even though my father has kicked me out before and,says he doesn't care I believe he will notify the authorities

  • #2
    Reply: im 17 leaving out of state

    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

    You have the right to a safe home and the right to not be abused.
    You also have the right to file a child abuse report.
    You might consider taking photos of any scars that were caused by your father hitting you.
    These might serve as evidence to your allegations of the physical abuse.
    You are not responsible for this behavior by your parents.

    Making a plan for emergency safety is a smart idea because it sounds like you are at risk being at home. It sounds like there is an extended family member offering their support.
    Good for you.

    Should the police become involved you have the option of asking to speak with someone from child services if you want to report the abuse.

    You might consider contacting 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) to explore your options and resources for help.

    NRS can contact the police in your area via conference call to seek information about the laws in your state in regards to leaving home at the age of seventeen etc.

    Does that make sense?

    To get information about where you can file a child abuse report contact Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453

    NRS is here to listen and here to help.

    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp