No announcement yet.

My friend seriously needs help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My friend seriously needs help

    My friend is in desperate need of help. His family is abusive, and he needs a place to stay. He is 15, but is mistaken for 17 on the daily. I honestly don’t know what to do. I offered my home, only to find out my grandmother wasn’t ok with it, saying how she’d get in trouble for housing a run away minor without his family’s permission. I tried convincing her, saying his family wouldn’t give permission, but I didn’t really try that hard, not wanting her to get mad at me. As of right now, he is staying at a place we jokingly call the blood house, but the reason is pretty serious. It has blood in multiple areas, and he said he thought some of it was more recent. Not to mention the fact that last night, a random man had knocked on the door. My friend didn’t know him, and was genuinely scared for his life. After a while of hiding, my friend heard the man starting to walk away. However, when he checked to see if he was still there, the stranger punched him and threw a rock at him, injuring him enough to draw blood. He thinks he was drunk, and doesn’t know how likely it is for the man to come back. He has no one to go to. I can try convincing my grandparents, and I’m willing to sneak him in, but I’m pretty sure I’m his only option. We’ve talked about it, and we can’t think of any friends. I’ve asked if there are any relatives, but I’m pretty sure there aren’t. Please, help as soon as you can.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS and for sharing a bit about your friend's situation. It sounds like you have been a lot of effort into making sure that he is safe. He is very luck to have such a concerned friend.

    Your friend's safety is very important and it sounds like his situation at home has been dangerous. His parents do have the option of reporting your friend as a runaway. This is not illegal, but his parents can involve the police to return him home. In the event that this happens, your friend can tell police that he does not feel safe at home. This might prompt police to attempt to mediate a compromise between him and his parents that involves your friend staying somewhere else that is safe. The police might also make a report to child protective services to have a social worker intervene on his behalf to ensure he has a safe place to live. Anyone he stays with does risk a charge called harboring a runaway. Now, from what we know this is not very common and not used to punish someone who is helping a young person stay safe and off the streets. You or your grandma can call the local police department's non-emergency number to ask questions about their harboring and runaway protocols in a situation like this to see if your grandma would be at legal risk should she agree to take in your friend.

    A resource that might be helpful to your friend is an organization called Child Help. Child Help advocates for young people in unsafe and unhealthy situations and you can contact them at 1-800-786-2929 or go to to talk more about options for your friend.

    The house that your friend is currently staying at also sounds very dangerous. We are happy to connect him with a youth shelter in the area if you or him calls us at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. You and your friend can reach out again anytime by phone or chat to talk more about his situation and discover possible options.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif