No announcement yet.

i don’t want to live with my mom anymore

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i don’t want to live with my mom anymore

    my dad left when i was young, so it’s just my mom as a parent. she can’t really support us and we’re always struggling on money. i never feel secure in a house and i never feel safe. right now we’re living with one of her old professors in their office. it’s me my birthed and my mom in one small room and i hate it because she should be a able to support us herself. she spends money of things we don’t need and things we can’t afford. she just got a new dog and i love the dog but we can’t afford it right now. she should be saving up for our own place but she just spends her money so quickly. i don’t want to live here anymore. i’ll be 16 in a few weeks. she’s brings me so much anxiety and she’s part of the reason i’m depressed. i told her i wanted to see a therapist but i don’t think she is going to get me the help. living with her stresses me out a lot. i just want to live in a place where i feel safe. a place that i know will always be there and she can’t give me that

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thanks for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you. We are sorry to hear things are so unstable at home.From what you shared, it sounds like your mom is not putting much effort into adequately caring and providing for you. You deserve to live somewhere you feel supported and taken care of.

    There is a an organization called Child Help which advocates for young people in unsafe situations. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or go to to talk more about some options for having a trusted adult intervene to help you address your concerns and needs. One of these options is to make a report to child protective services. This could involve your mom and you receiving services and support to make sure you are properly be taken care of and possibly getting access to counseling. Child Help will have more information on how to make a report and how a social worker might intervene.

    A helpful step is to start reaching out to friends and family members you might be able to stay with. Sometimes having an adult advocate on your side can make communicating your needs more effective to your parents. Perhaps an adult family member, a friend's parent or a counselor at school can talk to your parents with you about your experience at home and the possibility of you leaving. If your mom is open to you living somewhere else, a youth shelter or transitional living program might be another option. A transitional living program is a long-term stable place to live where you can receive support and learn important life skills until you are ready to live more independently. We are happy to search our database for resources in your area if you call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at

    Because you mentioned that you have been struggling with your mental health, we want to make sure you are getting the support that you need. There is a crisis text-line you can contact to be connected with a counselor. If you feel like you need someone to talk to at anytime you can text “NAMI” to 741741.

    We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif