Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a 17 year old move out to live with her 18 year old boyfriend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    In Wisconsin is it legal me 17 to move out with my 18 year old boyfriend if my parents are fine with it?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us during what appears to be a difficult time. We thank you for coming forward to us with your questions and hope we can help.

In Pennsylvania, one can reach out to Legal Services Inc., for information about how to initiate the emancipation process. Their number is 717-243-9400, and they are available 8:30 am – 4:30 pm M-F. According to our records, a minor may be considered for emancipation if they are able to support themselves and live independent from their parents. Besides that, we don’t have much information about what exact steps must be taken in order to become emancipated. The process is mediated through the courts, and so you may have to go to a courthouse in order to start the process. Additionally, emancipation requires considerable financial resources and time, which are things you may wish to consider before initiating the process.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think.

Guest replied
    In PA. Can a 17-year-old move in with her 18-year-old boyfriends family if she is or is not emancipated? What are the best ways to get emancipated as well? She and I both have part-time jobs and our own vehicles.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Sometimes that's really hard to share things about yourself, but we're here to help, so really glad you came to us. Sounds like you're in a pretty difficult place, and can't imagine how hard that is for you.

You mentioned your mom hits you, and we're really sorry to hear that. It's just never ok to hit a child, and you don't deserve that, no matter what you've done or said. Our first priority is always that you are safe. You do options of talking to someone about this, whether it's friends or other family. You do have some options for reporting this also if you're comfortable. You could either do this yourself by calling Child Help at 1-800-422-4453, or we could help you too with reporting if you call into our crisis line at 1-800-786-2929.

Without knowing what state you're in, we can't offer specific advice on leaving permanently, since the age of majority varies. Keep in mind we aren't legal experts also. Since generally it is 18, in terms of leaving home and running away, while it's not illegal to runaway, it is a status offense. Your parents could report you as a runaway and have you returned home. Now given you are 17, sometimes the police have been known to not follow up given your age, but that's up to your local police. If you did stay with your boyfriend and an adult called the local police you could potentially stay there for a short time, especially given the abuse, but we certainly couldn't guarantee that.

There are other things you can do too to try to take your mind off things. Sometimes things as simple as listening to music or watching movies, or taking part in sports can really help make you feel better. Just another option to help.

Hopefully we've given you some good information that will help, and remember we are here 24/7 if you want to call our crisis line at 1-800-786-2929. Best of Luck!

Guest replied
    I'm turning 17 in 3 months and I wanted to know if I can live with my boyfriend and he is 18 n I'm getting tired of my mom hitting me and cussing at me
    Last edited by ccsmod10; 04-03-2018, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Re: Can a 17 year old move out to live with her 18 year old boyfriend?

Hey,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeine and sharing with us some of what has been going on. It sounds like your girlfriend has been going through some tough times, she seems lucky to have you supporting her and wanting what’s best for her. Here at NRS we are here to listen and support you in what ways we can.

At NRS we are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms. Generally, once your girlfriend turns 18 she is an adult. If she decided to leave home before then, then her parents would have the option of filing a runaway report. Running away is not a criminal offense for her, it just means that if she is found then the police will bring her back home. It can become a criminal charge for someone that is helping her leave or is allowing her to stay with them, such as yourself. However, she is 17 and that can be a tricky age in some states. It really depends on the police department on what they decide to do. Some departments may allow the report to be taken, but they may not actively search for her. Other departments may force her to return home until the day she turns 18. Some factors that may go into that, is she doing what a 17 year old should be doing, such as able to support herself, going to school, living in a safe place etc. Those may be some of the things they look at. One option you have is to contact the police department in her city and yours and see how they would handle a situation like this. If you don't feel comfortable calling, you can always give us a call on our hotline or chat with us via our website and we can make that call anonymously for you.

We hope this helped and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail you can give us a call on our hotline or chat with us on our website. We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best of luck.

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Can a 17 year old move out to live with her 18 year old boyfriend?

Can a 17 year old move out to live with her 18 year old boyfriend?

Hey, i live in New York State and I just turned 18 and I have an apartment, I'm also a paramedic so I'm financially well. My girlfriend is having a lot of problems at home with her mom. She's 17 by the way. And her mom treats her very poorly and treats me that way as well. She's done this to my girlfriends whole life. My girlfriend wants to just leave and come live with me. I live like 35 minutes away. If she just leaves home one day without saying anything and lives with me and commutes to school is that a problem? Are there any legal issues? Could we get in trouble? Thank you for the help!!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X