Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a 17 year old move out to live with her 18 year old boyfriend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 17 and 5 months i live in virginia . i have a boyfriend who is 18 and will be 19 in 3 months . Could I leave home ? if i wanted to, could i leave home and live with him ? All without going to court. Does my guardian have control over me ?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. While we are not legal experts we can speak on this generally. Your legal guardian is legally responsible for you until you turn 18 and would have some control in where you live. If you leave without their permission, they can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This basically means your guardian can ask police to return you home if they know where you are staying.

Leaving home as a minor can be challenging and we understand this must be a very difficult time. We want you to know you are not alone and we are here to listen and help as much as possible. We are available 24/7 for immediate support by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat at 1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
      NRS

Hi I'm turning 17 I want to move out with my boyfriends and his parents ,and I live in Washington state. There's has been serious issues between my parents and I, I would get mentally really hurt badly. If I tell them that I want to move out they would tell me that I can but there is no coming back. But what would happen if they changed there mind reporting to the police department saying that I'm a runaway?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking to the time to reach out to us here at NRS. Leaving can be a big decision to make, but you would know better than anyone what is best for you. It sounds like you have some concerns about possible consequences if your parents attempt to report you as a runaway to the police. While we are not legal experts we can speak generally on this.

The age of majority in Washington is 18 which is the age you are considered a legal adult with the legal freedom to choose where you live. If you leave without permission as a minor, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means your parents can ask police to return you home if they know where you are staying. Now, there is not a universal way that police respond to runaway reports. In some cases, police might not take a runaway report and might not intervene since you are close to turning 18. We suggest that any young person with this question call the non-emergency line for the local police department to ask an officer about their protocol regarding runaway reports. This can be done anonymously and the local police would have the most specific information about what could happen.

We hope this information helps! If you would like to talk more about your situation or you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to reach out again. We are available for immediate help 24/7 through our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or our live chat services at 1800runaway.org (click on the CHAT button on our website homepage).

Stay safe,
      NRS

I am 17 and i live in dallas tx. Im in a toxic environment all my friends know and they want me to get out and so do i. i have a plan to have my bf come get me he is 18 and im going to stay at his house with his mom and then commute to my grandmothers the next day. i do online school so i have my computer. my grandmother supports me because she understands how toxic the enviornment is and with my mental issues its not safe for me to stay. is there any advice you can give me because this is happening tomorrow and i need to make sure ive got everything covered.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that things at home with your family have been so difficult. It sounds like you’ve made a plan to leave, and you would like some feedback about your plan. We cannot tell you what to do, or even if what you are doing is right or wrong, but we can share information that might help you figure out your next steps.

We are not legal experts, but from what we understand, in most states, a minor needs the consent of a parent or legal guardian to live somewhere else. If you leave without consent, your parent or legal guardian may be able to file a runaway report with your local police department. While it is not technically illegal for you to run away, it is considered a status offense in some states, and in many states whomever you stay with can be charged with harboring a runaway or aiding and abetting in the delinquency of a minor, both of which are misdemeanors. If possible, consider whether your grandmother can help you talk to your parent or legal guardian to get consent for you to leave if this is what you hope to do.

All of this hinges on whether you are considered a minor in your state and, if so, whether your local police department would take the report. The best way to confirm whether your parent or legal guardian can file a report is to reach out to your local police at their non-emergency number or legal aid agency. Your local police can be reached at 214.671.3001. The Legal Aid of Dallas office can be reached at 214.748.1234. If you would like more information, or even if you just want someone to talk to, feel free to give us a call.

We cannot tell you what to do, but we can do our best to help you explore your options as you figure out your next steps. You can reach us 24/7 by phone at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929) or via chat by visiting our website www.1800runaway.org . We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

-NRS

In Connecticut, is it okay for me (17) to move out with my boyfriend (1?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X