Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a 17 year old move out to live with her 18 year old boyfriend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

I'm 17 and I'll be 18 in October I'm capable of going to school and getting a job, I live in texas . My 18 year old girlfriend wants me to live with her in Dallas tx at her and her parents. My mom and stepdad are wanting to kick me out and I'm just wondering if I'll be okay to move in with them.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It is our understanding that if you have your parents’ permission (or if they do not care), you can unofficially move in with someone else. However, as a minor, your parents still have the option to file a runaway report on you with the police if they change their mind. This would not mean that you are in any legal trouble. You would not be arrested or charged with anything. It would mean that if the police knew where you were or encountered you, they would be entitled to notify your guardian and return you home.

If you are interested in talking in more detail about your situation, we may be able to provide you with more specific information. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org in order to see what options you have.

Take care,
      NRS

So I’m 17 trying to move out cause my moms husband is constantly fighting with me and my mom always takes his side it’s just a very toxic household and I’m just trying to go live with my grandma

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible to a bulletin posting it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat. NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.
      Thank you, NRS

What can happens if you run away at 17 and turn 18 in November I’m just really trying to move from my toxic household(

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS we appreciate you contacting us. We understand you are going through a really rough time and are looking for information to help you out. Techincally the legal age you can leave is 18. Anytime before that your parents/guardians can file a runaway report with the police and the police would then be on the lookout for you. Anyone who chooses to house you can be charged with harboring a runaway. However in some cases you can reach out to the local non-emergency number and ask the police what they would do if you left home at 17. Sometimes they might not file it because you are close to 18. When asking these questions you can remain anonymous and not give a name or details to anything. You can just say you were wondering what would happen if someone were to runaway at 17.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

My daughter is 17 and currently living with her boyfriend without my permission. Her mother and I are moving 1000 miles away. She insist she is not going. With her being 17 can I make her go with us legally??

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out.

You mentioned that your daughter is currently living with her boyfriend, but that you guys are considering moving and want to explore the options available at your disposal. Unfortunately we aren’t legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor, and the legal guardians are responsible for the youth until the legal age of being considered an adult. In the even if something were to happen to your daughter, you would be held responsible.

An option you can explore, would be to talk to your daughter about what her future plans are looking like. Reality check questions can be used to help you guide her in the right direction like, “What’s your Plan B looking like if you and your boyfriend don’t end up working out?” Along those same lines, you can try contacting your local authorities, and inquire the specifics if you can force her to go with you guys legally.

We hope that these options and resources can be of some help to you. If you need additional help, or want us to reach out somewhere on your behalf, you can call us 24/7 at 1800)786-2929. Best of luck!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X