No announcement yet.

Can a 17 year old move out to live with her 18 year old boyfriend?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I live in Virginia , I’m 17, me and my boyfriend live with my parents and I’m currently pregnant. I want to move somewhere else because it’s a little cramped here and my parents would be ok with it so would my boyfriend and I get in trouble if we try to move into an apartment or low income housing together.


    • ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are wanting to move out to have more room for your growing family; which is very understandable.

      So the easiest way you can move out at 17 is with your parent's permission, so it is perfectly legal to live elsewhere that is safe with their consent. It might be difficult for you to apply for public housing due to your age, if your boyfriend is 18 or over, he might have to be the only one on the lease or applying for services. You might think about if there are any informal places that you can stay until you are 18 and can also apply for housing or to rent apartments, like if there is a trusted adult or friend who can rent out a larger room to you all. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you need help brainstorming your housing options: 1-800-RUNAWAY; We are always here for you.



  • #32
    I am 17 and I am wanting to move out of state with my 18 year boyfriend. My mom said yes so will we have any trouble if I do?


    • ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. As a minor, you are required to live wherever your legal guardian determines. If they give you permission to leave, then it would be our understanding that you would be okay to leave. It may be a good idea to get it in writing and you may need a guardian to enroll you in school or get you medical care. If you would like to talk in greater detail about your situation, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at

  • #33
    I am from Texas and am a few months from turning 18. I live with just my dad, but we don’t get along. In many of our arguments he’s taken things to a physical level and left me with marks. While I’ve been trying to wait til I turn 18, my boyfriend and his family have been concerned for me and have been willing to have me live with them now. They live in the same city and would house me in a safe and financially-stable environment. Although I’m still going to high school and don’t have a job, or license. Would I be allowed to leave without being forced to go back?


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. It sounds like you have been going through a lot, and for a very long time. You do not deserve to have been treated this way. At all. We are very glad that your boyfriend’s family are supportive of you and are willing to let you live with them so that you can be safe.
      Things to keep in mind if you leave: you dad would have the right to file a runaway report if you left; only you would know whether he is likely to do that. If he does, we can’t predict what the police will do. Sometimes the closer a person is to 18, the less the police will respond, but not always. There is always the risk that they would take you back. If you documented the marks and told them that you are not safe at home, are afraid to go back, and are currently safe, and can prove your age, you may be able to convince the individual officer to let you stay.
      You can also contact either us, or Child Help to file an abuse report, or for immediate help through their TXT 4 Help program.
      Texas is also tough for harboring a runaway laws. Here is a link to the information we found: At the end of the article it says that “informing a law enforcement agency of the child’s location within 24 hours as a defense against being charged with harboring a runaway. This is where the evidence of physical abuse will be helpful.
      We hope that you might reach out to us to talk about everything you are going through and help you figure out your options. You can reach us via phone at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-runaway) or with our live chat service through
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Sincerely, NRS

  • #34
    Hi I’m 17 and I love in Chicago and was to move out very badly with my boyfriend who is turning 18 pretty soon but my parents won’t let me move out and I always tell them that I’m moving out or running away and we get into huge fights. So what can I do?


    • ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment

      Thanks for reaching out to NRS for help! It is totally understandable you would want to move out to live with your boyfriend since it sounds like you are more comfortable with him that your parents. Getting into huge fights with parents can make it really stressful at home.

      We are not legal experts by any means, but we can share what do know about runaway laws. If you leave home without permission, your parents can file a runaway report. Running away is not a crime, it is something you cannot do because of your age. So you would not be arrested, but police would likely return you home if they know where you are. In some cases police do not take runaway reports for 17 year olds because you are so close to being considered a legal adult. Your local police department will have more specific information about their runaway protocol and you can ask questions by calling their non-emergency number. This is also something we can help you do if you call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or use our online chat service.

      Having conversations with parents can be really difficult and it sounds like your parents are escalating it into a fight when you do try to communicate with them. We can do a conference call between you and your parents. We would be on the phone with you to advocate for you and make sure you feel like you are being heard.

      Do not hesitate to reach out by phone or chat 24/7 if you want to talk more about your situation and possible options.

      Good Luck,
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove