Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a 17 year old move out to live with her 18 year old boyfriend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    My girlfriend will be 17 in about 2 months, we been dating before I just turned 18 and I am fixing ti move out, if she moved in with me when she turns 17 because he parents dont want us to date because they just dont like me will we be fine? Or will they make he go home and I get in trouble?? I live in Texas and am kinda lost on the law on that

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

We appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation and taking the time to make a post on our Bulletin. It sounds like staying at home has been becoming more and more frustrating since your parents are not allowing you to take the beginning steps toward independence. Leaving can be a big decision to make, but you are the expert on your situation and know when leaving is the right choice for you. '

While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. If you leave home without permission as a minor, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, so you would not get into any legal trouble. But it is a status offense which means your parents can ask that police return you home if they know where you are staying or you come into contact with law enforcement. Your boyfriend could be at risk of being charged with Harboring a Runaway which is usually a misdemeanor. Now, there is not a universal way that police respond to runaway reports and protocol can vary. Some police departments do not enforce a runaway report or harboring charges for someone so close to turning 18. You can call the non-emergency line for your local or county police department (anonymously if you would like) to ask questions about their runaway and harboring protocol to learn more about what might happen if you leave home.

We hope this information helps as you decide on your next steps. If you would like to talk more in depth about your situation, you can reach out anytime by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at 1800runaway.org. We are here 24/7 to listen and help.

Stay safe and good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello I am from Toledo Ohio I’m 17 and thinking of leaving home without telling anyone. Will have a place to live with my boyfriend who is turning 18 in October we want to save up some money until that time comes so We can be financially comfortable for a little while But my fear is that my family will try to look for me and it will get him in trouble seeing as he’ll be 18 when we leave. I don’t know for sure though. I would be perfectly safe. The reason I want leave home is because they arent giving me or teaching me the tools I need when I do become 18. For example refusing me to get a job, I am barely allowed to leave the house unless I’m walking to the store, refusing to teach me how to drive, they won’t even allow me to babysit as a way to make money. Theyre expectations for me is to sit in my room and clean the house and this has been going on for years even before Quarantine. We are making sure we leave when quarantine is over and we our financially secure enough to live on our own so with that, Could my boyfriend really get in trouble for taking me in even if he had just turned 18?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, im 16 and will be turning 17 next year. I will also be going to uni next year and I want to live with my boyfriend who is also the same age. we would be living in his parents house, but my parents don't want me living with the opposite sex. we live in Scotland and I was wondering if there was anything they could do to stop me from perusing this or if there would be any consequences and legal problems with this.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hi there, thank you for reaching out to us!

We aren't legal experts but in most states the age to be considered an adult would be 18, which means that even at 17 you are considered a minor and your guardians would be able to make a runaway report if they chose too. It is important that you know that running away is not a crime, you will not be taken to jail or have a record of any kind unless the running away became chronic. If police were to stop you while there was a runaway report out for you what would happen is they would take you back to your parents/legal guardians. Although, at the age of 17 some police departments might not accept runaway reports or they may accept them but not actively search for you since you are so close to being 18, it does vary per department. If you were to run away and you were staying with your fiancé your parents/legal guardians could choose to charge your fiancé with Harboring a Runaway, it’s not too common but it is a possibility to be aware of. That would be the only place were legal trouble may come up for your fiancé. In most states if you get married you are automatically considered an adult for certain matters, for example you would be allowed to legally live with your husband as an adult. Still you may need parental consent to actually get married.

Lastly, if you do leave home and continue your education it may help you look responsible and independent in the eyes of the police who may receive a runaway report of you which is good for you, you might want to check what the enrollment process is though because some schools also require parents/legal guardians to make the transfer. If you would like some legal aid who you could ask more legal questions to we can help find an aid specific to your state.

If you have any more questions please contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We know it can be tough and overwhelming to ask for help and sort out all of the information you’re given, we are here to support you and help how we can best. Good luck!

Guest replied
    I'm 17 and my fiance is 19 would I or would he get into legal trouble if i were to leave before i turn 18 live with him he lives 1 and a half hours away but there is schooling down there

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

While we are not legal experts, we do have some basic knowledge in that area. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. It is not illegal to runaway, but generally if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. There isn't one way that police officers handle runaways. In some areas they do search for runaways, even if they don't know exactly where you are. In other areas they don't.

One way to find out the laws in your area, is to call your local police. You can anonymously ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth, and what happens if youth refuse to go home.

You can always look into emancipation if that is an option you are interested in. It is a bit of a longer process but it is not impossible. Depending on how long you have before you turn 18, you might turn 18 before the process is complete but it is something to think about.

If you would like to talk more in depth about what has been going on and what your options are, do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us online at www.1800runaway.org. We are 24/7 and confidential. We're here to help, here to listen.

Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi,
    I'm a 17-year-old?
    female and I don't turn 18 until October and I wanted to know is it legal to leave and get my own place if I'm financially stable and responsible

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out.

You mentioned that your daughter is currently living with her boyfriend, but that you guys are considering moving and want to explore the options available at your disposal. Unfortunately we aren’t legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor, and the legal guardians are responsible for the youth until the legal age of being considered an adult. In the even if something were to happen to your daughter, you would be held responsible.

An option you can explore, would be to talk to your daughter about what her future plans are looking like. Reality check questions can be used to help you guide her in the right direction like, “What’s your Plan B looking like if you and your boyfriend don’t end up working out?” Along those same lines, you can try contacting your local authorities, and inquire the specifics if you can force her to go with you guys legally.

We hope that these options and resources can be of some help to you. If you need additional help, or want us to reach out somewhere on your behalf, you can call us 24/7 at 1800)786-2929. Best of luck!

Guest replied
    My daughter is 17 and currently living with her boyfriend without my permission. Her mother and I are moving 1000 miles away. She insist she is not going. With her being 17 can I make her go with us legally??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible to a bulletin posting it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat. NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.
    Thank you, NRS

• ccsmod9
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS we appreciate you contacting us. We understand you are going through a really rough time and are looking for information to help you out. Techincally the legal age you can leave is 18. Anytime before that your parents/guardians can file a runaway report with the police and the police would then be on the lookout for you. Anyone who chooses to house you can be charged with harboring a runaway. However in some cases you can reach out to the local non-emergency number and ask the police what they would do if you left home at 17. Sometimes they might not file it because you are close to 18. When asking these questions you can remain anonymous and not give a name or details to anything. You can just say you were wondering what would happen if someone were to runaway at 17.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    What can happens if you run away at 17 and turn 18 in November I’m just really trying to move from my toxic household(

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    So I’m 17 trying to move out cause my moms husband is constantly fighting with me and my mom always takes his side it’s just a very toxic household and I’m just trying to go live with my grandma

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X