Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a 17 year old move out to live with her 18 year old boyfriend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello I’m 17 18 in August and I want to live my 16 yo boyfriend in Oklahoma.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Hi i’m 17, turning 18 in august. i live in missouri and i’m getting tired of my mom verbally abusing me. could i legally move out at 17 and move in with my boyfriend?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. You do not deserve to be verbally abused, any type of abuse is unacceptable. If you would like to make an abuse report you can call The Child Help Line at: 1800-422-4453. We know that sometimes making an abuse report can be scary, if you would like our help you can call us and we would be glad to help you. We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws. Because you are still a minor if you were to leave home without your parent’s permission you could still be considered as a runaway. If the police found you they would most likely bring you back home. You could try calling your local non-emergency police department and ask them how they would handle a situation like yours. You can call them anonymously, or if you call us we can call out to the police and ask on your behalf.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to talk more please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck!

I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 19 . Me and my mom are having arguments and always takes my stuff from with me . She makes me feel like i don't belong in the house . I live in North carolina, is it legal to move out without her consent and not get in trouble with the police?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for reaching out to us. We're sorry you don't feel like you belong at home -- everyone deserves to feel loved and safe with their family.

As you might have read in our other responds in this thread or other threads, we're not legal experts, but North Carolina's age of majority appears to be 18 years old. If you leave your parent or guardian's home before that age, they could file a runaway report with the local police or child protective services. If that occurs, the authorities could return you home if they find you and potentially charge those with whom you're staying with harboring a runaway.

As an alternative, you could consider emancipation, which is a legal process that, if successful, enables you to be considered an adult in the eyes of your state before reaching the age of majority. However, it can be a somewhat lengthy and uncertain process as you'd have to go through the courts and typically present a case that you are financially independent, among other things. To find out more information about the emancipation laws in your state, you can visit www.lsc.gov, click the "Find Legal Aid" link in the top right corner of the homepage, and type in your address or zip code to find a free legal services organization in your area.

If you'd like to discuss your situation in greater detail, please feel free to call us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

All the best,
      NRS

Hi I’m 20 and my girlfriend turns 18 in a few months her stepmom treats her poorly and my girlfriend would like to move in with me

Comment

Reply: Hi I’m 20 and my girlfriend turns 18

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you have a girlfriend with some issues living at home with her mom. You’re looking at possibly having her move in with you.
      In most states 18 is the legal age to be considered an adult. Your message really didn’t give us much to go on as to how you might be hoping we can help. However.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Can I give consent for my son to live legally on his own with my consent?

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. We understand that your son wants to move out and you are willing to give that consent which is great that you want to do that for him. While we are not legal experts he is able to move out as long as you have given consent to him moving out and doing his own thing. Though it might be a good idea to have a lawyer draw up some papers to make it official since if your son does have any type of serious thing happen to him it might fall back on you as neglect. So to cover yourself perhaps speaking with a lawyer they might draw up something for you to do it the right way. Even signing off on emancipation papers might do the trick quickly.
          We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          Be safe,
          NRS

My boyfriends parents said i can moce in when i turn 18 they said we will be in separate rooms they said that when i finish my ged program then i can my boyfriend is 17 he has a job and stuff im really getting tired of being calles names hit on snd cusses at sll the time i mainly do everything at my moms house i just want to leave my only option is to move in with his parents can i do that?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult situation right now. No one deserves to be called names, cussed at or being hit. If you ever feel in danger you can contact the police ASAP.
          We are not legal experts but we will do our best to answer your questions. In most states the legal age to leave home is 18 years old, so if you leave at 18 it would be legal. In some states the age of majority is either 21 or 19, you can check the age of majority in your state by calling your local non-emergency police and asking them. If the age of majority in your state is 18 you would be legally allowed to live with your boyfriend or whoever you wish.
          We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck!
          NRS

In Pennsylvania can a 17 year old leave home or will cops make them go back home

Comment

• ccsmod5
          ccsmod5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, thank you for your message. It sounds like you have questions about leaving home at 17. We aren't legal experts, but generally speaking you need to be 18 to leave home without parental consent. If you leave without permission, your family could file a runaway report and the police may return you home. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929 if you have further questions, need resources, or just need someone to talk to. We wish you the very best of luck!
          Sincerely,
          NRS

Hi, my girlfriend is 17 and I’m 18 and she lives in a very tight and strict household that she is mentally and verbally abused day in and day out. Her parents also force a religion onto her and controls everything she does. She wants to leave and move out after she finishes highschool and come live with me. We are in Illinois so would this be legally ok ? If she were to move in with me and live with me instead of her parents.

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,

It can be difficult to ask for help and we are glad you messaged us. Your friend does not deserved to be verbally and mentally abused. If she is ever in immediate danger calling the police (911) is always an option. Child Help operates a national child abuse hotline (1-800-422-4453) that may be an additional resource if she is interested in reporting.

We are not legal experts and consequences for leaving home can vary from city to city. You are considered a minor until the age of 18 in the state of Illinois. This means that if she leaves home at 17 and the police are called there can be consequences for both her and whoever takes her in. Reaching out to a non-emergency police number is always an option for learning more about the legal consequences of leaning home.

If she is 18 when she finishes high school, she is not legally bound to living at home anymore and there are no legal consequences for doing so. In addition to being available by bulletin, we operate a 24/7 hotline and are always here to provide additional support and resources (1-800-786-2929). Do not hesitate to reach out.

Good luck,

NRS

I just turned seventeen three months ago and I’m planning on running away from home. I’m from Georgia and I’m wanting to go live with my boyfriend in Arizona, he’s 18. The reason I’m wanting to leave is because at home there’s too many problems here mostly verbal abuse and seriously just can’t take it any longer. How could we get in trouble? Who has the rights to press charges on my bf? And if we weren’t to get caught then what would happen next? What right do I have? Can I processed my senior year with out my parents? Like enroll in school with out them??

Comment

Reply: I just turned seventeen three months ago

Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You do not deserve to be abused by any means. you are not responsible for the actions of others. it is not your fault they choose to behave this way.

As of right now it sounds as though you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options.
          It also sounds like you have some concerns over what might happen if you are picked up by the police.

While we are not experts on the law, someone under 18 that leaves home, the parent/guardian may file them as a runaway and they may be returned home. Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. You might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject. In regards to continuing your education you might consider contacting the school district you have in mind and asking about their admission policies for someone your age.

If you have any more questions pertaining to your situation,we can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. You are welcome to contact NRS to talk more in detail.
          Please call or chat soon.

Be safe,
          NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-07-2019, 01:52 AM.
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Im 16 at the moment and im wanting to move out at 17 to live with my best friend that i count as a step sister, she is becoming an engineer so she will be able to support me til im 18. Ill be getting a job also, would that be legal? If i left one day with my moms permission?

Comment

• ccsmod9
              ccsmod9 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there,
              Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
              While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
              Be safe,
              NRS

Hi. I live in. Georgia and have full garudian ship of my 17 year old nephew whose parents are both deceased. My question is he is dating a little 15 year old an trying to go on vacation with his girlfriend s family but I have told him he can't go but he is saying he is going no matter what. What are my legal options on this matter ? If he just ups sn leaves what happens if I'm telling him he can't go? Thanks for any help with this issue we are having.

Comment

• ccsmod1
              ccsmod1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey there,

Thanks so much for sharing a little bit about what's going on, we know it takes a lot of courage to reach out for help. It sounds like you care a lot about your nephew and his well-being and it's admirable that you've stepped up to the plate to take care of him. If your nephew leaves home (for this trip or in general) without your permission you have the right to file a runaway report with your local police. There is no waiting period for when this can be filed. Running away is a status offense meaning that it isn't illegal but something he can't do as a minor. We aren't legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if the authorities locate your nephew he will be returned home to you.

Best of luck,
              NRS

Hi, I’m 18 years old and I want to move in with my boyfriend. He’s 17 and his dad is fine with it but my mom said she would call the cops if I tried. Would the cops let me stay there or make me go back home?

Comment

• ccsmod7
              ccsmod7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there, please see our response to your similar post:

"Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

In most but not all states, you are considered a legal adult at 18 and can make your own decisions about where you live. So your mom typically would not be able to call police and have you returned home. If you live in Mississippi, Alabama, or Nebraska you might reach out to local police to see if you can move out without being reported as a runaway. Those are the 3 states with higher majority ages than 18, but police might still allow for 18 year olds to move out depending on their local procedures. If you would like assistance calling out to police to verify that you can move out at 18 without being reported as a runaway, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

We hope this was helpful, please call or chat if you need any assistance: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS"

hey i’m 17, i live with my grandma who has custody of me and i have a job and i wanna get out of the house and go live on my own but idk how to do it without my grandma calling the cops on me for “running away” so what do i do? how can i get out and go live on my own? or with a friend maybe?

Comment

• ccsmod7
              ccsmod7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there, thanks for reaching out.

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18 to live with a friend. The easiest way to leave home is with your grandmother’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to her. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X