Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parents threatened to kick me out, can i just leave?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents threatened to kick me out, can i just leave?

Hi there, I'm 14 and i live in Florida. My parents have started threatening to kick me out because "I'm killing them" with all of my problems (i.e Depression, PTSD, anxiety, and other severe mental disorders). They also told me to "just get out already" referring to me just leaving the house. My mother has also forced me to try weed and sleeping meds, pressuring me into it. The thing is, I live with my grandparents currently, they have legal guardianship because my birth mother was extremely abusive and neglectful. They do not have legal adoption, just 'temporary guardianship" since I was about 5. They have been threatening to "send me back to her" even though they both know that she was very abusive towards me, they even told me that i could just walk to her house (in another state) if I didn't want to live there. They told me that living with them is a privilege, which I know it is, but they act like I owe them anything and everything. Yes I love them but their verbal and emotional abuse is simply too much. They have quite literally caused my PTSD to worsen twice fold.

I apologize for rambling but, I have plenty of friends who want to help me and want to give me a place to sleep. I really don't want to get anyone in serious trouble. Can i just leave and explain to any legal authorities what happened? Would they even listen to me as none of the abuse is physical? I am going to run away either way i just need to know if i should stay on my own or if i should go with one of my friends.

Thank you,
    -T

Hey,

First, we would like to thank you for reaching out to NRS, we’re going to try our best to help you out with some information. We want to apologize that you’re dealing with this abuse, while it might be a privilege to be able to live with your grandparents, no one should have to face emotional and verbal abuse. It seems like there might be a few different options for you, based on the information you provided us.

Here at NRS we are not legal experts, however, we will try our best to give you some sound advice. Running away is not a crime, so it is not something you will get in legal trouble for. However, it is considered a status offense, so if you do run away, and your grandparents file a runaway report, the police might search for you and if they do find you, they will send you back to your grandparent’s house. They might detain you while they wait for a guardian to pick you up, but since it is not illegal, they will not arrest you.
    As far as staying with your friend’s and their families, we’re really glad to hear that you have people who can support you and help you out, but there is a possibility of ramifications if your grandparents file a runaway report. For example, if your grandparents file a report, and somehow know you are at your friends place, they can send a police officer to check and have them send you back home. If your grandparents chose to, they would be allowed to press charges against them for harboring a runaway. However, that is rare and is up to the discretion of your grandparents.

If you felt comfortable, you could Child Help, which is the national child abuse hotline, to file an abuse report against grandparents which could help your case if you did runaway, but that would be up to the discretion of the police officer dealing with your case. Child Help can be contacted at 1-800-422-4453, and they can help provide more information around abuse reporting and file the report for you.

We’re sorry to hear that your mental health issues are worsening because of your living situation. That is something that can be extremely difficult and overwhelming to deal with. If you want advice or help managing your mental illnesses, you could contact the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) at 1-800-960-NAMI or text NAMI to 741741.

If you felt comfortable, you can always call our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) to get more specific advice for your situation or safety plan if running away is what you think is best. Alternatively, you can chat us online. We are available 24/7 and are completely confidential. We wish you the best of luck with your situation, and thank you again for reaching out to NRS.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X