• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Leaving home at 17 in Virginia

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like your friend is going through a very difficult period right now.

You are a good person and friend for wanting to support her.
    We are not legal experts so we can’t say if there would be any legal ramifications for you taking her in.

Sometimes the local police may be able to provide information on this subject.
    To get information you would contact the non-emergency number of the police in her city and state.

It also sounds like she has had some struggles with depression which has led her to having some thoughts of harming herself.

Listed are a couple of referrals for her if she would like to talk with someone about her feelings.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
    1-800-273-Talk (8255)
    http://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/#

www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    Chat Service Hours 2pm -2am

If you or she would like to talk more about the situation please contact 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (Live chat).

NRS is here to listen and here to help.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Leaving home at 17 in Virginia

Leaving home at 17 in Virginia

I'm in a really tough spot.
    A very good friend of mine is 17, turning 18 at the end of February. She lives with her mom, who's isn't home often and when she is, puts my friend down and makes her feel very bad about herself. She also has a lot of trouble making friends and being social with other people. This is because her mother never lets her go out to do social things.
    All of that is relevent because it makes her depressed to the point of wanting to harm and kill herself. I can't get outside help to her, such as school counslers or police officers involved, because shes threatening her own life, which obligates them to tell her mother, who would have a very bad reaction to that news and could make her home life worse.
    My friend wants to move out and come live with me. I'm 19 and have my own house with two other people (its a big house). I have steady and well above minimum wage income to support her, even though she has a job and a drivers license, and is trying to buy a car.
    What I need to know is can she move into my house and live here before she turns 18 without legal ramifications against either of us.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X