No announcement yet.

Runaway at 17. Shows up a state away at grandparent's house

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Runaway at 17. Shows up a state away at grandparent's house

    My 17 year old grandchild left home in Oregon and showed up at my house. In Washington. Has finished high school and wants to go to community college. I can hardly turn em away. The parents are having their live implode wit several repossession issues. If we petition for emancipation in Washington state, will that put ahold on sending the kid back to an uproarious home in Oregon?

  • #2

    Thank you for taking to the time to write us here at NRS. While we are not legal experts by any means, we can share our knowledge of some of the legal issues involved.

    If your grandchild left home without permission, their parents do have the option of reporting them as a runaway. This is not illegal but it is a status offense. The parents can potentially have police return your grandchild back home. However, this is not always the case for an individual his age. Some police departments do not pursue runaway reports for a 17 year old. If this is how the police department operates where your grandchild is from then they would not force him back to his parents. You can call the Oregon police department's non-emergency number to ask about their protocol in a situation like this. Now, if the parents either give permission for your grandchild to stay with you or they simply choose not to report him as a runaway then police would not intervene.

    If the parents are open to it, you can have them sign over temporary guardianship of your grandchild. This would give the rights to act as his guardian while he is staying with you. Your grandchild does have the option of petitioning for emancipation although it can be a long and difficult process. This usually requires that the individual is living away from their parents and can financially support themselves. We are not sure if filing the petition would block efforts to return you grandchild home should the parents make a runaway reports. This would better be answered by the police in Oregon or an attorney. We are happy to connect you with legal aid resources if needed if you call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at

    You and your grandchild are welcome to reach out again anytime if you have more questions or would like to be connected to any resources. We are 24/7 and can be contacted by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or live chat at
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!! I appreciate that and the information. It's helpful and nice to be able to reach out to someone, anyone, who might have good information.
      thank you again.


      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif