No announcement yet.

can i move out at 17 without my mothers permission and without legal issues

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • can i move out at 17 without my mothers permission and without legal issues

    The abuse is verbal and mental for now the mom will treat her daughter like she would rather have the daughter just go die, tells her she was just a one night stand and wishes to not have her. The daughter has a sickness that is killing her and was told to take medicine but the mother refused to give her the medicine. She is becoming more stressed out and the sickness she has does not matter to the mother in anyway. I am the boyfriend of the daughter and i have been watching from a distance i have proof of her treatment to her daughter from text. The family does many drugs and the house is not safe or healthy in anyway. The daughter went to the hospital not to long ago and was told she was basically done for and her mother cared for that day two at max and went back to before. The daughter is suicidal and depressed and i want to know what i can do to save my girlfriend. I really do love her. Im 19 going on 20 and she turned 17. I dont want to lose her because of them. What do i do?

  • #2
    re: can I move out at 17 without my mothers permission and without legal issues


    You seem really concerned for your gf's safety based on her home situation. It seems really stressful for her as well. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. The National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. You can also call us 24/7.

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp