16 and wants to become emancipated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 and wants to become emancipated

I'm 16, so obviously I make mistakes. Yes, I have drank. Yes, I have tried pot. Yes, I have had sex. But none of which has changed me or will mess up my future because those things don't control me. My parents are strict. They discovered all that I have done and has left me with nothing. They emotionally abused me, calling me these absolutely terrible things and it got to the point where my mom beat me. And they constantly threat that they will make things 100% worse and will beat me if I try to leave again. I have a job so I can support myself. I'd live with my friend and her family so I wouldn't have to worry about rent. I'd attend school normally and get my high school diploma and use my A plus program to get two free years of community college. I feel trapped at home. Suffocated almost. My mom told me that I am not an adult yet so my life is hers. MY LIFE is not my own is basically what she told me. I can't make my own decisions.
    I just need help getting started in the emancipation process. I would just leave my house and stay somewhere else and tell my parents to deal with it but I ran away not too long ago and left a note saying that I needed a break from everything and that I'm safe and I'll be back in about a week. They couldn't even give me that week of emotional detox. They found me and took me home that night that I left. I really can't live this way anymore. They don't let me see my friends or even go out and get fast food without making a big deal about all of it. I'm responsible, even if I tried a few stupid stuff. That's just part of life, no matter what age. So please I need some help starting the process of emancipation and someone to help me win this because they won't give up on me. But I can't live this way any longer.

RE: 16 and wants to become emancipated

Hello there,

Thanks for coming to the NRS forum today and sharing your story. We’re so sorry to hear about what’s been going on at home. Trying new things and experimentation is part of life, and everyone makes mistakes. We’re so sorry your parents have been coming down on you so hard. Making you feel like you’re not in charge of your own life seems like a harsh reaction. Calling you names and physically abusing you is NOT ok.

Here at NRS we are not legal experts. Typically emancipation is a long process and that cost the petitioner a bit of money as well. Depending on your state, to start the process you usually need a lawyer. We are happy to provide such a referral, but we wouldn’t be able to post a legal office’s phone number to our public forum. If you wanted more information on your state’s requirements for emancipation and a legal referral, please give us a call here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or reach out to us via our Live Chat right here on this website. Our call center is 24/7 and all of our services are confidential.

Since you mentioned your parents hurting you, it sounds like that could be abuse. We’re not here to define abuse, but if you believed you are being abused you always have the right to report what is happening to you. You don’t deserve to be treated that way and it is NOT your fault. If you wanted, we could help you file a report if you gave us a call. If you’re wondering what could happen if you reported or are just wondering about abuse reporting in general, please visit www.childhelp.org.

It sounds like you have a good support system if you need anyone to talk to, however, you could always give us a call if you wanted to vent. Sometimes it can feel good to talk to someone who isn’t going to judge or tell you what to do. We’re here for that.

Stay strong,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X