Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 14 in California and am running away. Is it legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 14 in California and am running away. Is it legal?

My parents found out that I have been dating another female. I know they are extremely against it and am worried they will never treat me the same. I feel like they might send me to a camp to make me straight or something, and I've read that they can be extremely harmful to a person's mental state. I don't really know why I chose to date her, other than the fact that It was the first time I've ever felt feelings for someone, not only because of her beauty, but also because I can relate to her with my problems, help her through hers, make each other laugh, and more. My parents are Mormon, which means that we love everyone, apparently. (But in reality it's a "sin") I have also tried multiple times to not have feelings for her, but it didn't work. I am already in the process of running away, but I don't want me or my parents to get in any legal trouble, it would just make everything worse.

Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now. It can be really hard to not feel accepted by parents.
    One option to consider is to talk with a school counselor or a trusted adult about what you are going through. They may be able to help you with options and help you explore resources. We are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you were to run away your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you home. Also whoever you were to stay with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway.
    We hope this information is useful in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X