No announcement yet.

I'm 16 and need to move out

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 16 and need to move out

    Hi I'm 16 and wish to move out. It's not a case of neglect or any other reason apart from clash of personalities within my household. When everything is fine at home it is perfect and wouldn't change it for the world. However tiny things always seem to blow up into big things and the one line that always comes out of my mothers mouth is 'when you move out you can do what you want. Until then it's my rules'. Which I totally respect, however her drinking is an issue and due that she always makes small things big things and I just want to get away to have a better relationship with her.
    I can tell my college and ask their advice but I do not wish to raise awareness to her drinking as she is a 'fuctioning alcohol'. I have a younger sister and my step dad is home to care for her should anyone believe my mum is unfit to care for her which is not the case. She is.
    I know I can leave with her consent at 16 but where can I go from there, I have a job and earn around 180 a week depending on how many hours I can cram in around college. Would the council be able to guide me or will I really have to do this alone? Can anyone help based on the facts I've given and the questions I've asked.
    Many thanks

  • #2
    Re: I'm 16 and need to move out

    Hi there,

    Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things have been pretty difficult for you lately and we are sorry to hear about what’s been going on. We’re here to help you the best that we can.

    The National Runaway Safeline is a crisis line based in the United States, so our knowledge and resources are limited to that in the United States. You mentioned your mom’s drinking and how it’s been difficult because she is functioning. It can be hard to live with a loved one who is active in addiction. There is a resource that you may find helpful for teens:

    We are not legal experts unfortunately so we can only speak in general terms. Generally speaking, if you leave without permission from your legal guardians before the age of 18 (legal age of adult in most states), they would have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made, and the police find you they typically would just bring you back home. However, anyone that you stay with could potentially be charged for harboring. It sounds like you may be able to leave with permission which is good to hear, but recognize it may still be difficult to become independent. If you are in need of any shelters or other possible referrals, you can call or chat with us and we can try to find some local to you that may be helpful to your situation.

    We’re here to help the best we can 24/7. Don’t hesitate to call or chat to talk further.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove