No announcement yet.

Want to move out

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Want to move out

    I am 16 years old and live in Oklahoma. I am wanting to move out of my parents house and move in with my sister. My mother is very toxic and makes life unbearable. I live with her and my step dad. They both smoke weed (without medical cards) they barely pay for the things I need because they are to busy buying drugs with it. Recently they have been pressuring me to get a job to help them pay for things. When I say no they both tell me to get out and to call my sister to come and get me. My sister was kicked out at 16 as well and my other sister moved out at 16 too because she got emancipated. My question is because of this situation can I move out and move in with my sister legally? I have my birth certificate and social security card. I don't know if my sister can enroll me in school or if she would need to get custody by the court system. I really need to find a way for this to work. I am not just a disgruntled teenager I promise. My parents really are not good people and I really need to leave this place, it's not just me either my siblings all went through the same things.
    please if you have advice for me please share it if you are wanting to tell me that I am wrong for wanting to leave to better my life please move along. I really need help with this situation.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options.You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

    Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

    Be safe,


    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp